Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Potty Training - Last Night

When Collin got home from school, he went to his room and told Daddy that he was "going to get comfortable".  He came out of his room in his "soft PJs" and underwear....not a pull up.  He was resting on the futon couch in his playroom watching a movie when I came home.  I asked if he felt OK and he said "Yes.  Go put your house clothes on" which meant get out of my work clothes and get comfortable.  I did not need a toddler to tell me that.  I was happy to change out of my work clothes which is one of the first things I do when I get home after greeting my family and giving them kisses.

Later that night, I said he needed to put a pull up on because we were going to bed.  He did not need a bath because they did not play outside (it was 103 yesterday and 105 the day before).  He said he wanted to leave his underwear on "because I will not pee in my bed.  I will get up to use the potty".  I told him that was fine with me but he had to go potty first and he needed to sleep on a towel.  Usually when I mention sleeping on a towel, he freaks out.  Tonight, it was not too bad but he did not like the idea of a towel.  After talking about it a few more times, he did go potty and then picked out the shark towel to lay on. 

He got in bed and said that Monkey also needed to sleep on a towel.  He then told Monkey "don't pee in the bed Monkey.  You have to get up and use the potty."  Well, I knew from that he knew what he needed to do if he had to go potty.  I really think that he sleeps so hard at night, that he does not even feel when he need to go potty.  However, I was willing to let him try again because he did not put up that much of a fight to do it.  I gave him and Monkey kisses and then told him that he could even wake me up if he needed help to go potty later that night.

He did not wake me up but, around 4:15am started to cry.  I knew that he must have peed in his bed and woke up from being wet.  I went into his room and that's what happened.  I started to pull the sheets off and asked him to get up because he needed to be changed.  He did not want to and fell back asleep. 

We will try again.  I know he will get it one day.

No comments: