Thursday, July 7, 2011

Influence of Classmates

Collin learns so much from school.  I can tell what he either learned from his teacher or picked up from the other kids in his class.  Here are some of the things he has recently learned from his classmates:
  • "That's not fair!" - I hear this when I tell him something that he does not want to hear or such as, "Collin, we need to go inside now because it's getting dark.
  • "I hate you!" - You know I love to hear this one.  He says this also when he does not want to do something I just requested him to do. 
  • "You're not sharing" - this makes me laugh sometimes because he has no idea what sharing really means.  He thinks it means that if he wants something, he can take it whether the person he is taking it from wants or is ready for him to.  The other night, I was eating dinner and he wanted a bite of something off my plate.  I told him that I wanted to have a few more bites but then he could have some.  "You're not sharing Mommy!"  I try to explain that I will share but I had not even had a bite yet.  I then sometimes here, "You are not my best friend".  So....I don't need to be his best friend, right?
  • "You are not my best friend" - He says this when he thinks that I will change my mind from what I just said or did.  If I don't or cannot play with him when he asks me to, then I am not his best friend.  It does not matter to him that he asked me when I just sat down on the toilet or starting to cook dinner.
  • "No sir" along with his pointer finger in the air shaking back in forth.  This is one of my favorites because I know the teacher tells him this when he is doing something he is not supposed to do at school.  He tells me this when I ask him to do something but he is not ready to.  I will say, "Collin, it's time to take a bath" and the replies with a mad face "No sir" followed by the finger shaking in the air.

No comments: