Monday, March 15, 2010

Potty Training Questions

I have had several questions about Collin and how he does it for potty training so I thought I would include the answers here. Since we started this several months ago:
  • He pulls down and up his underwear (still calls them panties) and pants himself
  • He wear underwear that has a slight pad in the front and underneath so that if he leaks a little, it does not get his pants wet. They are blue, white or have cars on them. He does not have a preference so far.
  • Prefers to stand up to pee at home and in public. At home we have stools everywhere. In public, he knows it's time to stand on the top of my shoes so he is tall enough to use the public restroom. He will usually say "Mommy, I need to stand on your feet" as we enter the stall.
  • Wants to flush
  • Does not use an "adapter" for the seat
  • Will wash his hands without reminders, majority of the time.
  • He does wear a pull-up at night but I call them "night time undies" so he will not think he is wearing a diaper. Not sure this makes a difference in this process but I thought I would try it.
  • I have not seen him hide under a table lately when he needs to poop. He now just stands there or does tell me that he needs to poop. We are still working on this one but making some progress.

This weekend was great as far as he telling me when he needed to go instead of me asking or telling him that we are going. He is funny when he tells me he has to go though. He will say "Mommy, I need to pee" and then say "hurry, hurry!" because this is what my reaction was to him when we first started to do this. That puts a smile on my face.

I know he is having fun with all of this. Yesterday on our way to the bathroom, he was pulling down in pants and underwear slightly in anticipation of going potty. He stopped walking, turned around with his bottom facing me and said "Mommy, look at my butt" and then turned back around and laughed. Yep, he caught me laughing at this but I had to quickly tell him that he does not need to do that. I can see the teacher not thinking this is too funny.....and wonder which one of us taught him this. Not me!!!! Not Daddy either!

No comments: