Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Collin - School Update

This afternoon, I met with Collin's teacher to discuss his Progress Report. She said she sees improvement in all areas. He does get along with his friends and is developing as she would expect for someone his age. She said that he is working very hard at following the rules and directions. She is working with him to use his words instead of his hands but that this is typical for his age.

All good except potty-training. He was doing great but she had not seen much improvement lately. He does go pee in the potty but does not poop in it. He rarely had accidents during nap but has had a few lately. We need to be better about making him wear his underwear and not a diaper at home and on the weekends.

Last night, I did work with him on pooping in the potty. I tried reading books to him while he was on the potty or playing in his playroom that is next to a bathroom. Anytime I saw that he looked like he might be pooping, I took him to the bathroom. No success. He told me that he was scared of sitting on the potty and that he hurt. I asked where and he pointed to his bottom. Either, he was tyring to get out of sitting on the potty or his tummy/bottom really did hurt. What he does not know is that we are going to try again tonight.

2 hours later.......

Well, well, well. Collin must have snuck a peek at his blog and did not want it to end the way it did above. After dinner (typical dinner of not much and not much interest), we playing in the TV room. He did say once that he had to go pee pee and he did on the potty with very little help from me. I asked him about poo poo and told him not to go in his undies. He said he did not have to. About 20 minutes later, I noticed Collin was starting his "poop face" which means he was standing still (at least he is not hiding under the table anymore while he poops), beginning to pull his shoulders up and his face was turning red. I grabbed him up and took him to the nearest potty (all bathrooms in the house have stools ready to go). After a few small cries, he did go poop on the potty for the first time!!! I gave him a high-five and told him he was a big boy. After he got cleaned up and we were sitting on the couch eating his "cranberries" (reward for pooping on the potty), I asked him if it was scary pooping on the potty. Before answering, I could tell he was thinking about it before he responded "no". Maybe this got him over his fear.

Today is another day....but at least he is headed in the right direction now. I heard from other mommies that it's the first poop on the potty that is the hardest for toddlers when the are potty training.

Let's eat!!!! Just kidding....hahaha

1 comment:

Momma Petersen said...

Yeaaaaa, collin! So proud of you. Hope Ella does as well as you!!!