Monday, December 13, 2010

"Leave.....I am a big boy"

At night, I will admit, it's easier to leave Collin's room AFTER he is asleep because there is less negotiations and crying that way.  Well...there is plenty of that before he does fall asleep too.  However, if I leave after he is asleep, I usually don't see a little shadow behind me when I am in my room changing into my PJs or picking out what I am going to wear in the morning.  Most nights, after reading books and singing a few songs, Collin takes FOREVER to fall asleep.  He has to make sure that all of his "guys" are in bed with him and in a certain place.  The cold covers have to be on him or not.  He wiggles around so much to find just the right spot.  This can take up to 20 - 30 minutes.....after I have already spent over an hour getting him to this point.  This makes for a tired Mommy because that is a lot of energy at the end of the day...and sometimes, I do have to work an hour or two after Collin goes to bed.

Last night, I read books and sang songs.  He crawled into bed like he usually does.  Before I sang songs, I talked to him about how much of a big boy he is and the big boy things he did that weekend.  Daddy really praised him this morning for putting his own shoes on before we left the house so I referenced that.  He really liked this.  Then, I told him that big boys know how to fall asleep and are not scared if Mommy or Daddy are not in the room with him.  I told him that I was going to sing a few songs and then leave his room to go to my room.  I said that I was not leaving the house and that I would be there for him if he needed me.  I would not let anything get him because I loved him so much.  I asked if he was listening and if he understood.  He told me "yes, I know you love me".  I then told him that other big boys like Jacob and Griffin, his buddies at school, stay in bed after their Mommies leave the room.  They don't cry or get out of bed because they are really big boys.  I then told him that I was going to sing three songs and then leave to my room.  There was no protest to that.  I sang three songs, told him how much I loved him, then to have sweet dreams and sleep tight.  He wanted to give me a big hug and what he called a wet kiss (nice....from my son!?!?) and then told me "leave.....leave Mommy".  I could see in the dark that he was pointing to the door.  He said "I'm a big boy".  I left and Collin did go to sleep.

That is at least a start.  I am sure the weeks ahead will be challenging.  I know it's best for both of us...and Daddy when he puts Collin to bed....to not stay in his room until he is asleep.

No comments: