Friday, May 1, 2009

Tibial Torsion

After noticing that when Collin walked slowly (which does not happen too often), his right foot regularly turned in at a 45 degree angle, I called and made an appointment with his doctor this morning. Glad I did. She diagnosed him with having tibial torsion which is an inward twisting of the shin bones. I had this when I was his age and had to wear a bar between my feet during the day and a brace around my hips. Now days, the treatment is to watch how Collin sits and to not let him sit on his legs or his feet since this puts pressure on the tibial and causes the feet to turn inward. We have to try to teach him how to sit cross-legged instead. The doc said that he will likely grow out of this by the time he is 5 years old and not need surgery.

No comments: