Sunday, May 1, 2011

First Triathlon

Mimi picked Collin up from school Friday afternoon for him to spend the night at her house and stay Saturday.  That's because Mommy AND Daddy were leaving at 3:30am Saturday morning to compete in their first triathlon.  I already knew that I was competing and had been training since January.  This race was meant to be as a test to see how I was doing with my training for the one in June.  The race distances are about half of the ones of the race in June (300 meter swim, 10 mile bike and 2 mile run).  Daddy has been working out since last summer which has included swimming.  He said nothing to me this entire time about maybe competing until I picked up my packet from the bike shop Friday night.  He let me know of his plans to also compete.  I was ecstatic and proud of him for competing.

The next morning, we did wake up by 3:30am.  Daddy drove about an hour to the race location.  While he and others were setting up for the race, he let me sleep another hour.  Then, it was time to get up and get ready for the race.  Both of us set our bikes and other stuff in the transition area and then got marked with our numbers (Black marker used on our arm, leg and back of our calf).  Because it was dark, no one even noticed that Daddy also had been body marked for the race.  When it was light enough, I checked out the lake.  This entire time of training, I have been in fear of the lake swim.  I never liked swimming or playing in lakes growing up and this had not changed as an adult.  I was NOT looking forward to this part of the race. The plan was to just get through the swim and then really excel on the bike and run.  Daddy had also been swimming and could swim the race distance.

When it was time for the race, we lined up by the lake in our age group.  We knew how to do this because we all had swim caps with different colors based on our age group.  I was swimming after Daddy so I got to see him start and cheer him on.  At this point, most of the people that Daddy knows realized that he was racing too but were still in shock.  Angy came out to cheer Mommy and a friend on .... an ended up cheering for Daddy too.  He looked great in the water.  Watching him helped me forget that it was my turn in just 9 minutes.  The water was 75 degrees and cold at first.  That feeling went away quickly when it was time to swim in the dark water full of growth sometimes within inches of the top.  Pool swimming does not prepare you for this.  I swam in the beginning and then walk-swam about 5 minutes later.  It was tough to swim with everyone around me.  I was the tallest in my age group so every time I tried to swim, I was touching someone.  At last, the swim WAS over and it was time for the bike.  Ahhhh....my favorite part.  I really excel at the bike.  I prepared for it to be windy which it was.  Glad I was ready for it.  I did pass Daddy up at this point and he was looking really good.  It was great to see him out there.  The head wind was really strong....but it was strong for all of the racers.  I could not wait to turn back around on the course (it was an out and back course) so the wind would be at my back.  Just as I thought, when I turned around, I was really flying.  I got back and then had to run.  This is difficult after riding because your legs could be fatigued from the run.  My legs were good but I was tired by now.  With all of the swimming and other training I have been doing, I have not been running as much and I can tell.  However, this was a race, and I really pushed myself.  I kept telling myself to not walk that I could keep running.  When I could see the finish line, I sprinted until I finished.  My goal was to finish in an hour and 15 minutes.  I saw that I finished in one hour and 3 minutes.  I felt great about that time and what I had accomplished that morning. I got some water and then turned back around to wait for Daddy to finish.  He finished about 20 minutes later really needed something to drink.  I was SO proud of him and what we just accomplished.  I was really shocked when I walked up to see the race results and saw that I got first place in my age group.  I really did not expect so see that.  That made the day even that much more special.



1 comment:

The Karg Family said...

I'm so proud of you. That is totally awesome!! Congrats. I need to find a tri and actually do one now and stop talking about it. :}