Sunday, May 22, 2011

Ironman Spectator

Saturday morning, we stayed a the house because I knew we would be gone for most of the afternoon watching some friends compete in an ironman event.  Collin also requested to stay home for the day.  When he woke up, he asked me "Are we going anywhere today?"  I asked if he wanted to and he told me "No, I want to stay at my house."  He really does like staying at his house.

We did stay home so he could relax and enjoy his house.  I put in a movie for him and then pulled out my stuff to scrapbook (I am getting WAY behind).  He watched a movie for a little bit and then wanted to help me.  "Mommy, I can help you cut."  "I want some stickers too."  I could see that I was not going to get much done.  I found his stickers, markers and paper for him, set him up on the other side of the table from me and let him work with me.  He put stickers on the paper and then used the markers to finish the picture.  For example, one sticker was a hat.  He then drew the face with facial features and the legs (he does not draw a body and arms yet).  He did this until all of the stickers were gone.



Eventually, it was time to pack up and head North to watch the ironman event for a few hours.  I had hoped Collin would be tired enough to take a nap which he did do in the car for about 40 minutes.  After walking with all of our stuff for over 25 minutes, we found where we planned to meet up with some of my coworkers.  One of our coworkers, Casey, was competing in the ironman for the first time so we wanted to cheer him on.  Collin did FANTASTIC while there for almost 4 hours.  He visited with my coworkers, helped us cheer on the runners and quietly played with the toys he brought.  He also met a little friend named Kira who is the daughter of one of my coworkers.  He followed her around and also made sure she saw him doing certain things.  At one point, he wanted to get in a nearby tree.  I put him in there and he looked over at Kira's directions and yelled out "Look at this guys!"  I asked him who he was talking to and he told me "that girl over there" while smiling his best I-am-being-cute smile.

I think he enjoyed the walk back the most because we stopped along the way to watch other kids play, he walked along the curbs like at gymnastics and looked at some of the other spectators as they cheered the competitors on.  I think he is a people-watcher like his Mommy. 




In the tree to get a better look

No comments: