Monday, May 9, 2011

Great Mother's Day

I had a wonderful Mother's Day that actually started Saturday afternoon.  We were at the house getting ready to leave to meet Mimi and Dustin for dinner when Collin handed me a gift bag from a jewelry store.  Hmmmm.....what could this before.  He said "Happy Mother's Day" and then wanted to look inside.  There was a box gift wrapped which he helped me open but with precise instructions: "First, you open it here like this (on the one side of the box lifting up the flap of paper) and then you turn it to the other side (doing the same thing) and then you push it out (pushing the box out of the opening)."  We eventually together opened the box.  Inside was a casual watch.  I was first, I was surprised and not expecting to receive a gift (at least not Saturday) and second, was not expecting to see a watch.  I pulled out the watch from the box and it was clasped around a tiny pillow.  Collin was puzzled about why there was a pillow in the box but wanted to keep it when I took it out of the watch.  Here we are opening the gift and a picture of the watch:





I LOVE it.....especially since it's from my family and for Mother's Day.  We then headed to see Mimi and Dustin for dinner.  We met at a sushi place.  Collin was a little wound up and kept getting out of his chair which he usually does not do.  It's probably because Mimi was there.  We then decided to have some ice cream at Marble Slab.  Collin and Mimi shared his "banilla", Daddy and I shared peanut butter and chocolate ice cream with Reese's Butter Cup crumbles and Dustin had his own ice cream cone with black cherry ice cream.  We had a great time at dinner and then afterwards.  The purpose of meeting was that Collin was to spend the night with Mimi that night because Mommy and Daddy where going to up early the next morning for a bike ride.

We got up early Sunday morning (5am) and headed north for a 60 mile bike ride.  I have not ridden 60 miles since before Collin was born.  The closest was 47 miles in September of last year.  I have been working out and training for the triathlon so I thought I would give it a shot.  Daddy would be there so I could catch a ride with him whenever I decided I was finished.  When we were ready to roll out, there were four guys and me.  I thought "60 miles and keeping a pace of 20mph +.  OK, I can do this".  The first 10 miles were a little tough because the area where we were riding is know for rolling hills.  This morning, there was also a slight breeze (which turned into major head and cross wind later that morning).  Eventually, three of the guys brought off and one stayed behind with me.  He and I were really at the same riding level compared to the others.  We had a map and Daddy planned to be at every 10 miles ahead of us to make sure we were on the route.  That still did not help.  Gary and I got lost.  Thank goodness for GPS on our phones because we figured out where we were which was about 10 miles off the course.  By this time, we were both exhausted from the rolling hills and head wind.  On the hills, we were riding at single digits and then getting up to 20mph between the hills.  This really wore both of us out.  Plus, we had already ridden 40 miles.  I was ready to get off the bike.  We told Daddy where we were and he said he would wait for us to get back to the next turn that would get us back on the route....and then took off.  The way back was not as hilly which I was glad to have because the cross wind was pushing me closer and closer off the road.  We rounded a corner and then saw Daddy headed our way.  Yeah!!!!  I was finished.  We both climbed into the back of the van and sighed in relief.  The total miles was 47 which took me a little over 3 hours.  By now, I wanted to eat, take a shower and then take a nap.

I did get to eat and take a nap on the way back home.  Both of us were ready to see Collin so we skipped the shower and additional nap to pick Collin up.  He was having a snack of applesauce when we arrived so we waited and visited with Mimi and Pappy.  In the car later, Collin asked if it was nap time and we told him it was when we got home.  He said, "It's not sleepy time, it's awake time".  He said this again, then 10 minutes later, yawned and fell asleep.  He transferred to our bed easily and we all took a much needed nap.  Later, we had dinner and then swam for about an hour.  Collin still will not put his head underwater but was more brave about jumping to my arm in the water to then kick and swim.  We will get there eventually.

What a great Mother's Day!

No comments: