Saturday, February 6, 2010

Eye Update

Yesterday, we went to the hospital to see an opthamologist to consult with her about Collin's eyes and how he complains about them hurting. He did GREAT when it came time to test them and put his face and chin in the machine for her to look closer at his eyes. She did have to take a few pictures more than once on his left eye because he kept moving...but did not cry. When it came time to put in the drops to dilate his eyes, he DID cry though. As soon as she finished putting the drops in his eyes, he sat up and said "let's go". He got out of the chair, went to the door, opened it and waited for us to follow him. I cannot say I blame him. Here are a few pictures of him in the waiting room while we had to wait for his eyes to dilate.

We were there for over four hours. Overall, he did really well waiting that long and having people checking out his eyes many different times. After we left, it took him only 20 minutes to fall asleep. I needed to stop somewhere on the way home but didn't because I wanted him to get his rest.























While he walked around the water sculptures, he was singing "Ring around the rosies pocket on the posies". I had to laugh at his version of this song. We waited so long that I got hungry and needed a snack. I bought a bag of pretzel and cracker mix thinking Collin might eat some. He saw me open the bag and said "I need it". I gave him the bag to get a handful. Well, he kept getting one handful after another. I finally asked if I could have one. He dug around the bag to give me one of the crackers that was not his favorite. I told him "thank you" and asked if I could have another one. He said "the is no more" when clearly there was a plenty let. I asked again and he said "all gone" and pushed my hand away. What a stinker!

So, the doctor said that he did have swollen nerves around his optic nerve...more so in his left eye than his right.....and that the optic nerve was not as pronounced as it typically is. This, however, would not cause the symptoms he was having, mainly sensitivity to light and complaining of his eyes hurting. Because Collin did not have headaches or other symptoms related to swollen nerves and was behaving like a typical 2-year old, she said that she would rather wait a month to see if the swelling changes. In the meantime, we are to try not to highlight or discuss his eyes. If he says they hurt, we are not to pay too much attention to this. She thinks that maybe he is used to this behavior about saying his eyes hurt and could even be doing it for the attention. This is especially because he seems to be getting better since he is not complaining about his eyes as much as he did before.

No comments: