Thursday, July 17, 2008

Collin's First Plane Ride


Last night was Collin's first plane trip. I scheduled a late flight thinking that Collin would sleep most of the trip.....NOT!!! He was such a wiggle butt and never stopped moving. I am fortunate that the couple sitting next to us loves kids. I was sitting next to a mom. Collin quickly made friends with her by leaning over before we took off to suck on her arm. She laughed and grabbed him up to talk to him. Before take off, I gave him a bottle to help with his ears. I had no idea if they would hurt him during take off or not but I was not going to take any chances. He was great! He had no idea we even took off. We were sitting next to the window so he would have something to look at and to give us more room. I also had a toy that has a suction cup to stick to the window. This was actually the same toy that Collin's cousin Dustin used on the same trip 15 years ago when he was about Collin's age (yeah, Mimi keeps everything!)





During the plane ride, he moved back and forth between the three of us. He really liked standing on our legs so he could look over the seat in front of him. At one point, he looked like he was listening to the conversation in front of him. He also liked standing between my legs to move around a little. He was tempted to sit and crawl on the floor so I had to pick him up before the little scavenger picked up trash left over from the last flight (yes, they did miss a few pretzels from the previous trip). The landing was just the same as the take off. He sucked on his pacifier to help with his ears. I needed a nose plug though because he decided it was time to fill his diaper with leftover banana (thanks mom!) 15 minutes before we landed. I kept his butt next to the window to try to contain the smell....enough of that.




While we were waiting to get off the plane, there was a little girl about two months younger than Collin. Her daddy was holding her and waiting to get off the plane. She was obviously tired and started to cry a little. Collin heard her and immediately stood up on my legs, looked over to her and yelled something to her and then smiled. He was probably telling her that it was OK and she would get off the plane soon. She actually stopped crying and then "talked" back to Collin. This back and forth exchange happened for several minutes. The passengers around us all were tickled by this. One mentioned that it really made the long flight memorable.





2 comments:

MommaHolmes07 said...

Thats my boy. Look at him he is AWESOME.
DaddyHolmes

The Karg Family said...

I am glad the flight went well. My kids are avid flyers as well, although they never sleep either. Have fun in CO. can't wait to see you soon.