Friday, October 28, 2011

Scary Pumpkin

Today I worked from home so I got to see Collin and Daddy this morning.  I helped Daddy get the sleepy boy out of bed and dressed for school.  Since today's show n tell was about Halloween, I let him wear his pumpkin PJ shirt and shorts to school.  As soon as he was dressed, the boys headed out the door for Friday donut day.  As he was going out the door, Collin was making ghost sounds and trying to be scary.  Here he is when he turned around and gave me one last scare before heading to Daddy's truck:

Since I worked from home, I planned to meet Collin for lunch today.  When I told him that before he left, he let me know that Daddy already had lunch with him this week.  Oh really?  Did that mean he did not want me to have lunch with him?  He said I could come to school.  I was happy to hear that.

Now that he is not a napper, we don't have to eat lunch with him in his classroom.  We get to eat at a bigger table in the gym.  When I arrived, I was a little early.  The kids were sitting in a circle ready to be dismissed to get their lunches.  When it was Collin's turn, he got up and grabbed a small basket that had flowers and what looked like cloth napkins in it.  He turned, looked and me and smiled.  He opened the door to meet me and told me to follow him.  What was in the basket were place mats and flowers for our center piece.  He told me I was to sit by him but wait because he wanted to put our place mats out so we could put our food on them.  He then got his hot lunch which consisted of pizza, carrots and yogurt.  I brought, from home, a grilled cheese and two apples knowing Collin might want some of my lunch.  He saw the apples and wanted one of them.  He slowly ate the apple and talked to me about his day.  I could tell that he liked me being there.  He did eat a few bites of my sandwich and half of his pizza.  He only wanted one bite of his yogurt.  At least he ate probably more than usual because I was there keeping him focused on eating lunch.  When it was time to clean up, he thew his food away, and the started folding up our place mats.  He put the flowers back in the basket and walked back to his class.  He put the basket away, came back out to give me a kiss and then went back in his class because they were headed outside to play.  What a huge change from when he first started school.  No tears at all.  He knew that it was time for him to go back to school and for me to go back to work.  I loved being able to see him for lunch today.

Folding the place mats.  See the flowers in the background?

No comments: