Thursday, October 27, 2011

International Day

Collin's school is celebrating International Day next Friday.  Part of the celebration includes his participation in the International Grand Parade they will have behind the school.  As part of the parade, he will hold a flag of his native country.  Last year, he made a US flag out of crepe paper.  He was just proud to have something to hold in the parade.  This year, because his parental grandfather's parents were from the Czech Republic, Mimi helped Collin with a flag from that state (plus, it's an easy flag for a 4 year old to make....rather for Mimi to help him with it).  He also had to make a paper doll representing the culture from the Czech Republic.  He used markers, glitter, stickers and glue to make his doll with Mimi's assistance.  I had Mimi start him with these projects thinking that I would need to help finish them when I got home.  Not the case at all.  I was thoroughly impressed that the paper doll AND flag where by the front door ready to go when I got home.  Not only were they finished, they looked great!  I thought that Mimi and Collin did a great job.  Don't you agree?

Here is Mimi's account of what happened when they made the paper doll and flag:

After bike shop, I picked up Collin who was taking his turn in class putting a puzzle together.  On the way home, Collin said he would point out where to turn to his house.  He fell asleep in front of it and I woke him up carrying him in the house because I suspected poo in his pants.  I was right so he took a short bath so he could eat before we did school project of decorating a cutout body and making a flag.  We did a costumed boy and flag from Czechoslovakia since it was easier than German or English.  For the flag, I used construction paper since it covers a large area faster than  colors or markers as we found out on the boy doll.  On the boy was black for boots, red pants and white shirt.  Pipe cleaners were for collar and belt.  Collin put red/white/blue stars and glibber places.  By himself, he put a dot for the nose and a smile.  Collin glued on bought eyes.  We practiced saying the country but Collin needed me to prompt him by saying Czech and he finished it best he could.

No comments: