Thursday, April 21, 2011

Collin and Mommy Tri Training

My first triathlon is next Saturday.  Until two weeks before the tax deadline, I was doing really good with my training.  I have been running, riding, lifting weights and swimming almost 6 days a week.  Because my first race is coming up, I needed to start riding and running together during one workout session.  This is commonly referred to a "brick".  Not sure why though.  I did a brick last night.

Daddy loaded my bike into his truck yesterday morning so that I would have it that night after work.  Collin asked Daddy why he was taking my bike.  Daddy told him that I was going to ride it.  he then told Daddy that he wanted to ride his bike.  Daddy said that he would get it for him.  Later when Daddy was picking up Collin from school, Collin noticed that his bike was not in the truck.  He apparently demanded for Daddy to get his bike...so they went back home to get it before meeting me at the park. 

I met the "boys" at the park.  Collin showed me that his bike was racked and ready for him to ride it with me.  I wish the little guy could ride with me but I needed to ride much faster than him and could not watch him.  I told him that he could run with me though.  I rode 10 miles first and then planned to run 2 miles.  This first triathlon is a super sprint so these distances were perfect for what I needed to work on.  While I was riding, Collin was also "training" like me while waiting for me to come back for my run.  Here he is riding his bike fast:

Here he is on the side of the running/riding trail stuck but still having a great time "spinning" on his bike.  Look at the smile!

Here he is doing sprints while waiting for me to get back on the bike:

I did finally turn the corner and saw Collin waiting for me to run with him.  He followed behind me for a short period of time and then went back to Daddy.  As I was finishing my second mile, I saw Collin and Daddy waiting for me.  Collin was on his bike waiting for me to run by.  I did and then he followed behind me.  I was the "line leader" so he had to be right behind me.  This helped him understand that he could not ride in the middle of the track because other runners and riders were also using it...and not looking for a handsome 3-year old on his bike.  He made it all the way back with me,wanted to get off his bike and then run with me.  I was pooped....I did not have any more "run" in me.  We hung out a little longer with Daddy to watch the other runners and riders.  We were both getting hungry so we headed home.  Collin ate great for dinner and then it was time for bed because we stayed out late at the park.  It was quick to get him to bed and he fell asleep within 20 minutes of reading books.  I laid in bed with him as he was falling asleep.  He must have been dreaming about riding his bike because his little feet were moving in a cycling motion on my leg.  Maybe we will be watching him soon doing his first kids triathlon.  We would love that.

No comments: