Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bedtime Antics

Collin continues to come up with reasons that he just cannot get in the bath or go to bed. This can be entertaining because of some of the things he says but I have to remember to be strong, consistent with my directions to him and, most importantly, not to let a 3-year old beat me at "the game". Just this week, I have heard:



"My stomach hurts (holding it), my head hurts (pointing to it) and my back hurts. I need a drink of water" - said right after I told him that it was time to get in bed

"Monkey needs a drink" - said after I told him it was time to get in bed


"Monkey fell out of bed (he threw him out). I need to get him" - said after I finally got him in bed


"I AM listening to you" - said after I told him that he was not listening to me because he was ignoring what I said.


"Just one more book. Ok, Mommy?" while looking REALLY cute and smiling at me


"That was my dinner" - said after he farted in the bath tub.....I threw that one in just to see if you were still reading. :)




He is at least getting to bed and falling asleep earlier this week than the last two weeks. He was inching his bed time to 10pm which was wearing on me by the end of the week. Even if I started the bath and bed time processes earlier in the evening, he managed to stay up until 10pm. I read an article about toddlers and the bedtime routine later last week and it reminded me to be patient when I talk to Collin so he will not push back as much during the bed time routine. The first time I tried it, he went to bed by 8:45pm. I will call that success! The next night = 8:30pm. The other nights that followed were about the same which was MUCH better for both of us. Him getting to bed earlier did not cause him to wake up earlier either. Daddy had to have liked that since he takes care of Collin in the mornings.



The challenges of a 3-year old. Score: 1 for Mommy, 12 for Collin.

No comments: