Monday, June 28, 2010

Potty Training Update #?....35?

Collin is doing fantastic with potty training when it comes to peeing during the day. There will be times that I will be in the kitchen or another room of the house. He will announce that he has to pee or potty, get up from where he is and then go to the potty by himself. We are working on him keeping himself dry at night. We do limit when he drinks at night and make him go potty before he goes to bed. Sometimes, after we read books, he will announce that he needs to go and then go to the bathroom next to his bedroom. I do show him that the night light is on for him and the potty is ready to go. He just needs to get up when he thinks he needs to go. Well, most mornings, his pull-up diaper is either really full or at least does have some pee in it. The teacher says that we need to let him wear underwear at night and he will learn to go to the potty in the middle of the night if he has to. Ugh.....we are not really to do this one yet.

As far as poop in the potty, there is no change. He goes in his underwear instead of the potty. This is even after attempting to go for about an hour......remember, that is, he in a panic announces that he has to poop, we run to the potty, and then he says that he does not need to anymore. As soon as we are back in the hallway or at least out of the potty area, he says that he has to go and starts to cry. I have tried putting him on the potty, but he will not sit and is straight-legged when I hold him up to put him on there myself. Like I said, this can go on for 30 minutes to even 4 hours or more. It usually ends up with him pooping in his underwear.

I have heard that if the he had to clean it up, then he would not do it anymore. I REALLY did not want to clean up after his attempts to clean himself up but was ready for a change of what we are doing right now.....which ends with the same result anyway. So, starting last Tuesday night, Collin did the same thing and then eventually did poop in his pants. Daddy and I let him stand there in his poopy underwear so he could feel how yucky it was and not like it. I told him that this is what it feels like when he does poop in his pants. Did he like it? He said "no". He must have stood there for 20 minutes until we walked to his bathroom. I pulled out a pad, put it on the floor for Collin to sit or stand on. I handed him some wipes and told him that he had to clean himself up. I did show him in the mirror where all of the poop was. I could tell that he really did not like being dirty like this and even asked me to clean it. When I told him he way, he started to cry and asked for me to help. Ugh....this was REALLY hard not to help. If I was going to try this, I needed to be fully committed. He did eventually clean himself up the best that he could in about 10 minutes. He then took a bath.

Did it work? He has done this two more times with me and the same result. He is still pooping in his pants. Having to clean himself up has not made a difference. Now what?

No comments: