Saturday, January 2, 2010

Mommy, the boy is on a scooter!

Collin loves to look out the front windows of our new house.

There has been a lot of activity in the street and the neighbor's houses the last two weeks because of the holidays. This morning, there were boys riding their scooters in the street. Collin came and got me to tell me that "the boy is on a scooter!" I was surprised he remembered what this was. There is a scooter in a Christmas book we have been reading the last few weeks which is where he must have remembered this from. He then asked if we could go outside......and we did. He grabbed form my hand and started walking towards the neighbor's house that is in the cul-de-sac portion of our street. Three boys live there and the oldest was the one on a scooter. Once we were at the driveway, Collin became shy and stood there watching the boys. They were great at stopping what they were doing and coming over to Collin. They were quickly able to get him to play with the basketball, throw the football some (he threw it too hard from them so they changed to helping their daddy wash the car.....good job Collin, maybe we have a football player in the making).

Once Collin saw that the scooter was abandoned, he got on it and tried to make it go. But standing on it with both feet was not going to make that happen as this picture shows. He got frustrated and yelled out a little because it would not move. I told him to watch the other boy use his scooter by pushing off with his foot. I had to show him by holding his left off the scooter and on the ground. That's all it took. He figured it out after that and rode that scooter until it was time to leave.

I was impressed when he got to the end of the driveway and turned around because he said "there are cars in the street". There were not any but he knows that he is not allowed to go in the street without holding one of our hands.

He was not too happy with me when it was time to leave. I could tell it was nap time because he was getting cranky when the scooter would not go over the cracks in the driveway. To hold off a meltdown, I figured we needed to go. I am sure we will be back at there hours MANY times in the next few years. Didn't I say three boys lived there? ;)

No comments: