Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Got Carded!!!

I have been using flash cards to teach Collin colors, animals, and other objects since he was about 9 months old. The last few evenings, Collin has wanted to get his cards and go through them with either Daddy or I. To go through them, he usually dumps the cards out of the box, stacks them in a pile, tells me what the object is on the card on top, moves the card over to the right (yes, always to the right) and then says what's on the next card. We he finishes, the pile, he puts the cards back in the box, dumps them out and does it all over again.

This is the way he has done it until this weekend. Instead of leaving the card on the pile, he stood up, picking the card up off the pile, held it in front of his chest with the picture facing me and then told me what is was. He knew he was right, so he started to shake his he up and down as if he were saying to himself, "yep, you are right".

Today while at the new house, he found his cards on his desk in the play room. He opened the box and dumped the cards out. I was in the room cleaning it and thought to myself that he was going to go through his cards again. Instead of his usual way to go through them, he held the first card up in front of his chest as I described above, then asked me "what is it?". At first , I thought he did not know and was really asking me, so I told him "egg" because that is what it was. He shook his head "yes", put the card down, picked up another card and asked me again "what is it?" Little Turkey was "carding me" and giving me a taste of my own medicine. I thought it was hilarious and played along with him....building wonderful memories.

No comments: