Friday, March 31, 2017

3rd Grade Comparison

I finally pulled out all of the photo boxes we inherited from Grandma H to start categorizing, organizing and deciding what to do with all of the pictures.  It's a daunting task but I know the end result will be worth it.  I am SO appreciative of Grandma H writing on the back of at least 90% of these pictures including the name, age, date of the people in the picture.  Sometimes, she did include what was going or the location of where the picture was taken.  I have been doing this for years when I learned as a teenager how important this is.  We were going through my great-grandmother's pictures that did not have writing on them.  With her gone, we could not ask her who was in the picture and how they were related to us.


What I did not expect was how much we are enjoying this as a family.  Each night this week, Dad pulled a photo from the pile and told the history of the picture as he could remember it.  We have learned:
  • His grandpa teaching him how to tie a neck tie
  • Riding on the back of the riding lawnmower with his grandpa
  • Learning to ride his first motorcycle with Dad's step-dad (I forgot Grandma H was married a second time)
  • His water bed he bought by himself.  Collin was really interested in this story because he just could not understand why someone would want to sleep on water.  ;)







One of the really fun things we did was find a 3rd grade picture of all of us and do a comparison.  Putting these pictures side-by-side was fun to see which part of Collin's face favored each of us.  You decide for yourself:





Collin's only comment was "Dad, you really did have a lot of hair when you were younger.  What happened?  Will that happen to me?"  Ha!  I also commented about my hair in my picture.  Who cut it?  They must have been in a hurry.  The timing right before Picture Day was terrible too.

No comments: