Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween Parade and Friends

Collin had not talked about Halloween or trick-or-treating much all month even though we put decorations out at the beginning of the month and they talked about it at school last week.  So, when I got home last night, he did not know that it was Halloween and time to get dressed in a costume.  I laid out the costumes he could chose from:  Pirate, Buzz Lightyear, Dinosaur, Woody or Spiderman. 
After thinking about it for about 10 minutes while walking around the customers, Collin chose the Pirate clothes.  I thought this might be the one he would pick because he has been playing with the sword that goes with it since Mimi brought it over about two weeks ago.  I put the pants and shirt on and noticed he was getting sad.  I asked what was wrong and he said, "Will people make fun of me?"  Awwww....that made me sad too but I did not show him that.  I said, "It's Halloween.  All of your friends are coming over and will be wearing customers also."  He thought about it and then took off the Pirate costume.  I asked if he was going to wear another customer or just wear his shorts and T-shirt outside for the parade and then trick-or-treating.  He said he wanted to be Woody instead.  I was not going to do this for every costume that was laying on the floor.  I asked if he was sure that he wanted to be Woody and he told me he was.  I said Woody wears jeans and a long-sleeved shirt.  He ran into his room and started to get these out to wear.  I put the rest of the Woody costume on him and he was happy about it.  Good thing since his friends had arrived.  Once everyone was over, we went outside for pictures before heading to participate in the parade.

Saige, Collin, Ellie, Connor, Kevin, Alex and Linden


We waited around for everyone else in the neighborhood show up.  The kids had a great time (and so did the parents) checking out all of the other costumes. 
Daddy as the Tooth Fairy trying to pull one of my teeth out.  Ouch!
Here we are walking down the street as part of the parade.  The fire truck was leading us to a house towards the end of the street there were treats and snacks such as Boo dogs, chips and juice or water.  The kids were hungry but also anxious to start trick-or-treating.  We did get them to sit and eat before heading out down the street.

Collin eating his Boo Dog

Collin and his pals at their first house
Last year, Collin pooped out from trick-or-treating after less than 5 houses so I was not sure how long he would last.  With his friends there, I thought he would at least try to keep up with them....and he did.  We went to at least 20 houses.  Collin did great by going to the door saying "Trick-or-Treat, Smell my Feet, Give me Something to Eat!"  After each house, he would show me what candy or treat he got.  Here he his during one of the many times showing me the treat he just got from a house.  He would quickly then put the candy in his pumpkin and run to the next house....usually the last of the bunch to arrive.
We went home only because it was getting dark.  I also knew that the kids would want to check out their loot and eat some of it.  Collin ate less than 3 pieces of his candy and then wanted to play.  He has not been interested in candy to this point and Halloween did not change that.  He actually did not ask about it today either.
Here is only half of what he came home with
Most of his friends went home.  Two of them stayed for a second dinner and then played in his playroom while I cleaned up.  Even with all of this activity, he still went to be at his normal time.  He was wound up though and did not want to go to sleep.  At one point, he told me "My brain will not let me shut my eyes to go to sleep".  Now, that's a good one that I have not heard before.  The kid is very creative when it comes to bed time and not getting into his bed.  I had a presentation to practice so I let him lay in the bed next to me while I read and practiced my presentation.  He was asleep in 5 minutes.  We both had a great day with family and friends.  Good night my little boy.

No comments: