Friday, September 30, 2011

Bedtime Update

To say that Collin loves his bunk beds is an understatement.  He LOVES sleeping on the top bunk.  He climbs to the top quickly and with the biggest smile on his face.  So far, he has not wanted to jump from the top...nor have any of his animals done it.  Phew!  I know it's coming at some point but we might get through Week 1 without him trying. 

Instead of wanting me to sleep on the floor, in his mind, I should want to sleep with him now that I "have my own bed down there" (on the bottom bunk).  I still try not to lay with him at night and have narrowed it down to maybe 3 times a week.  MUCH better than every night.

As far as him sleeping through the night, he has only gotten out of bed twice this week.  Once was because he could not find Monkey and the other was because he wanted water.  Before the new bed arrangement, he would get up 5 nights a week....and then have a "dry spell" for a few nights.  Maybe being on the top bunk makes him think about whether he wants to really get out of bed or not.  Whatever the reason, I got some really good sleep this week. 

To help him not lose Monkey during the night, I found a silly band (it's a rubberized skinny bracelet that is VERY popular right now) that glows in the dark.  Before climbing into bed, I "charge" the band in the lamp light and then wrap it around Monkey's wrist.  On the nights I remember (very important to do this), he has either not lost Monkey or not gotten out of bed to ask me to find him. 

I am still telling the guys the rules at night before they all go to bed.  Now that they sleep on the top AND bottom bunk (he has a set of animals that now sleep on the bottom bunk), there are more rules like "no jumping off the bed" or "no moving from one bed to the other in the middle of the night".  I try not to give Collin any ideas in these rules be he insists that there are new ones for his "new bed".

He is still full of excuses about why he cannot get in bed right away.  Last night, he suddenly developed a sniffle and wanted Vics Vapor Rub on his feet with socks (what we do when he really does have a head cold).  When I turned him down on that, his stomach started to hurt so he needed to get himself some water.  Nope.....what's the next excuse?  He wanted to sleep on the bottom bunk but he wanted his sheets on there (I have not made up the bottom bunk yet...on the list for this weekend).  There was no way I was moving his sheets to the bottom to have him change his mind.  He tried a few more things but finally did end up back on the top bed.  Mimi was still there (she still comes over on Thursday nights) so she stayed with him on the bottom bed while he was on the top.  He was satisfied with that and eventually went to sleep.

No comments: