Sunday, January 23, 2011

Saturday - Not a Great Start but end up a FANTASTIC Day

I knew Saturday was going to be a very busy day.  We had to leave the house before 9am to make it to a birthday party, stay for the party, head to the airport to see a friend during her 6 hour layover and then end up at Saige's house for Collin's first sleepover. 

We made it out of the house about 20 minutes later than I wanted to which meant that we were going to be late to the party.  I really don't like being late so I was a little stressed when we arrived.  I went to several different buildings in the complex before I finally found where the birthday parties are held. We went to the party room and looked around.  I did not see anyone I knew...and especially not the birthday girl.  I went back to the front to find out where the other party rooms where.  I was at the one party room they have.  Hmmmmm...what is happening?  Did you guess it yet?  I called the home of the birthday girl and her mom answered.  I asked, "When is Amelia's party?"  She replied.......NEXT Saturday.  OMG!  I arrived to a place an hour away on THE WRONG DATE!  Well, at least I know were we need to go for next Saturday.  I did know that we were not turning around to go home.  Thank goodness I have the Internet on my phone.  I did a few quick searches, told Collin that we would come back next weekend for the party.  He was a little confused but I quickly distracted him from that and he was fine.


Our first stop was the Flight Museum.  He got to see plans in the hanger and then see a B-52 bomber land.  He was fascinated by it and wanted to stay outside to watch more planes.  He did say they were really loud but still did not want to go back inside.  He wanted to get inside the planes really bad but I knew we were not able to do so.  We could if we paid to fly in the plane but Collin was too young for that.  After the passengers got out, we could check out the planes as close as we wanted to.  Fortunately, this was good enough for him.  I picked him up at one point so he could look at the instruments of the yellow plane that was open on top.  Notice is "Montessori school" stance with his hands behind his back. We were there for almost two hours.  To remember this experience, I let him pick out two toy planes which he played with the rest of the day.   
We left the Flight Museum and had planned to visit the Railroad Museum next.  We get there and find out that it is only open during the week.  No matter...he still climbed on a few of the miniature trains outside the museum in the parking lot. 
It was time to eat anyway, so I looked for the closest place to eat.  We happened to be right by the port where the cruise ships board.  Collin was amazed at how big the ship was and pointed out all of the tiny boats (the life boats).  We parked at the Fisherman's Warf and stood on the balcony to watch the people board the ship. He liked looking at the water and watching the seagulls fly around and dive in the water.  They started diving too close and he wanted to go inside because "the birds are going to eat us".  We got a table in the restaurant that overlooked the water.  Collin ate all but 1/3 of the biggest hamburger I have ever seen him eat.  I guess all of this touring made him hungry.  After lunch, we headed to the airport to pick up my friend that was on a 6 hour layover.  The airport was an hour away so I knew this would be a good time for Collin to take a nap...which he did for 45 minutes.  I picked Ms Sara up at the airport and we headed to Market Square at the next town.  We walked around a little and stopped for some ice cream.  Collin ordered "banilla with cranberries in it" which was really vanilla with gummy bears.  I knew he would only eat a few bites because he is not too interested in sweets.  While Ms Sara and I caught up, he walked around the table we were sitting at and sat on Sara's lap.  He REALLY liked her and did miss her when we had to drop her back off at the airport. 
Our last stop was Saige and Linden's house for his first sleepover at a friend's house.  I was racing the next morning at a race the bike shop was putting on so Daddy and I were going to leave the house before 5am.  We had planned for Mimi to spend the night but Ms Kristen offered for Collin to spend the night.  I stayed for over two hours until it was time for everyone to go to bed.  I put his PJs on and crawled in bed next to him.  He was sleeping on a blow up mattress in the Master bedroom in case he got up in the middle of the night like he as been.  I told him that he was spending the night and that I was going home to sleep in my bed.  He started to whimper a little but I could tell he was holding it back.  I told him I loved him and would see him tomorrow.  He was going to have fun with Saige, Linden and Ms Kristen.  I then left the room.  Kristen told me later that he told her that "Mommy could not stay" as if to tell her to not be said.  I love him!

He did great.  He got up once.  Kristen put him back to bed and he slept the rest of the night.  He got up a little earlier than usual and watched cartoons before they headed to church.  He is spending the night with Jake this Saturday.  What a big boy!

1 comment:

The Karg Family said...

OK, I'm going to be better about posting comments on your blog. Thanks again so much for picking me up. It was great to see you and Mr. Collin. He is such a sweetie and I told the kids all about it. I even busted out my pictures at the airport so they could see how cute he was. :} It was fun to catch up and hopefully it won't be another 2-3 years before I see you again, now that we're in the same state.