Sunday, January 2, 2011

New Year, New Sleeping Routine?

This is a new year and I am looking forward to it.  Last year was a great one which included many changes for our family.  We love our new house and I am adjusting to my new job.  One change I would like to have happen this year is for Collin to learn to go to sleep without either one of us laying in his bed or on the floor until he goes to sleep.  Yes, we know that this was not a good habit to start and it will be a difficult one to break.  It kills me to have to be so "mean" and follow suggestions of how to leave his room, put him back to bed over and over again until he falls asleep.  It really is easier to lay on his floor...and less crying.  But...I know this is best for both of us.  I need "mommy time" after he goes to bed and he needs to learn how to go to sleep on his own.

I know he is listening to me because of what he tells me.  Last night, he was playing me and I was playing Collin.  He likes to pretend to be other people and someone else to be him.  He walked over to his bed and told me,

Collin:  "We are only reading 3 books.  Ok, Collin?" 

Me:  "I want to read 5 books Mommy"

Collin:  "No, we are reading 3 books.  I am going to read them and then leave the room.  I am going to the living room"  I wanted to laugh at this one because that is somewhat what I tell him.  When I tuck him in bed, kiss him good night, I then tell him that I am going to the living room or to my room.

Me:  "I want you to stay in my room".  This is what he typically tells me.

Collin:  "I won't be proud of you".  Ouch!  I thought I could use this one on him this past weekend to see if that would keep him from getting out of bed.  It has not worked yet.

He did eventually go to sleep but I did have to stay in his room.  He got up about an hour later and wanted to sleep in my bed.  I got up and put him back in bed.  He slept there until about 5:45am when he wanted to sleep in our bed.  We let him because we were getting up in 30 minutes anyway.  I was going for a 20 mile ride and the "boys" were going with me to wait at the park.

No comments: