Thursday, January 12, 2017

Which One is Bigger Than the Other?

I was out of town Tuesday for work and received the sweetest message from the school nurse on my way to the airport headed home:


"Hello Mrs Holmes.  This is the school nurse...no emergency.[Glad she added that comment first!] Collin came and saw me around 2pm today. He had, an hour before, hit his thumb while playing football during recess.  His thumb is swollen.  We iced it.  He seems to have most of his range of motion in his left hand.  I wanted to keep you aware of that.  Maybe ice it again when he gets home.  Let me know what you notice tonight.  He is a very stoic young man...and very polite!  I asked him to come see me tomorrow so I could check on him and make sure he is doing OK."


I did not get to see him on his thumb long when I got home because he was out playing (a really good sign) and his Dad and I had a hot date that night.  His thumb was clearly swollen and was very bruised but it did not hurt him much and he could bend it.  Mimi watched him that night and said he seemed fine...even using his thumb to play his favorite video game...Call of Duty.  Pappy saw pictures later and thinks he might have dislocated it but it went back into place.  We will watch it a few days and see how he does. 


Underside of the thumb showing the swelling and bruising
Ignore the finger nails at the moment (that's an entirely different battle), so you can see the swelling of the thumb on the left. 

No comments: