Monday, January 16, 2017

"Hot Cross Buns" x 50

It's recorder practice time in the house!  I remember when I practiced on the recorder and thought I was something else because I could read the music and play the very basic songs.  Well, it's Collin's turn.  I had no idea if he would want to practice his recorder or not when it first came home.  The homework assignment was to practice Hot Cross Buns for a test on Friday. 
The recorder sat in its bag all week and most of the weekend until he opened it up and wanted to play it Sunday morning.  He did well in the beginning of the song, especially wearing a brace on his left hand, but kept getting stuck on the 3rd verse.  Instead of him repeating over and over that verse incorrectly, we looked up the music and the notes on the Internet.  I took the recorder not knowing how good I could play the song the first time.  I hit every not and the rhythm perfectly.  Collin's eyes got huge as he said "You did great mom!  How did you do that?"  I reminded him that I played instruments and the piano when I was a kid and that reading music comes easy to me.  He then took the recorder back, read the music and practice about 6 times before he got it right....and then he played the song over and over again....inside the house, followed me to the garage, in the backyard, upstairs....pretty much wherever he walked...he played the recorder.
Here are a few of the many videos he wanted me to take.  No, he is not mad....that's the look on concentration!

Here he is when he did not play it perfectly and wanted me to not send that one to Dad or his music teacher.


We had to run errands that afternoon and he wanted to take the recorder with him.  Fortunately for me, he forgot it at home when it was time to leave.  Phew!  Based on the homework sheet, it looks like we have at least 10 more weeks of this.  Maybe it's not going to be that bad....and then again....

No comments: