Wednesday, February 19, 2014

"You are going the wrong way"

I was in charge of dropping Collin off at school this morning.  It was a bus day but I thought I would go ahead and drop him off at the school.  This would give us a few more minutes to get ready and get out the door.  The morning was going smoothly and we were ahead of schedule.  Now, that never happens.  I was waiting for the excuses to not stop watching TV or playing a game.  Nope, Collin was great!  Burke was a challenge to get in his crate but that was not unusual.  We STILL were moving along on time. 



Collin and I loaded up in the car.  He asked if I was walking him to school when we get there.  I said that I was going to drop him off where the walkers are picked up.  He did not say anything after that.....until I passed the light to turn on the street to go to school.  I heard, "You were supposed to turn there.  You are going the wrong way."  I said that I was trying a different route rather than explaining that I would have to pass the school drive way and turn around further down the street because there is a no left turn rule in the mornings...which is what we would have had to do if I turned down the street that Collin just told me I missed.  Here is how the rest of the conversation went:



Collin:  "Well, you are still going the wrong way"



Mommy:  "This way will take us to school, too, and maybe faster"



Collin:  "You're wrong.  The other way is definitely faster"



Mommy:  "This way is easier and less turning around"



Collin:  "No it's not.  You have already turned twice and we are still not there"



Mommy:  As we were turning into the school driveway, "See, we are here.  That was really easy"



Collin:  "That way was still longer.  Plus, I don't want a stranger opening our door".  The 5th graders open the passenger doors to let the students out so the parents don't have to park and let the kids out.  Helps speed up the process.  So, he was telling me that the 5th grader was a stranger.



Mommy:  "Well, you might not know them but they are 5th graders at your school.  It's OK"



Collin:  "They are strangers"...as we parked and the 5th grader was opening his door.



As least I did get a kiss after the morning debate.  Starting the day off right with some simulating conversation with The Boy.  That's always fun and memorable.  As I retold this one to Daddy, I had a smile on my face. 

No comments: