Friday, February 7, 2014

100th Day of School

For the 100th day of school this year, Collin was instructed to decorate a shirt using 100 of any item he could think of.  For two weeks, I have been asking him what he wanted to decorate his shirt with.  I don't think he really understood what this really meant or why we were decorating a shirt.  I really did not either.  I don't remember celebrating 100 days of school. 

Finally, we had two days to decorate his shirt.  For a working mommy, this is tough to have projects like these but at least we had two weeks notice this time.  Thank you!  Anyway, during lunch two days before he had to wear his shirt, I went to a party warehouse store thinking I should be able to get some ideas.  I did finally find a bag of 145 pirate coins.  I thought we could glue these to his birthday shirt I made in some sort of pattern OR let him glue them wherever he wanted to on the shirt.  That will work!

After dinner that night, Collin and I set out to decorate his shirt.  First, he pulled out 100 of the coins making a row of 10 on the kitchen island.  I separated them out in rows of 5 and we counted again.  I did not want him to lose interest in the main purpose of the coins so I asked where these should go on his shirt.  The birthday shirt had his name on the front and a large chocolate cupcake with a "6" in the middle of it.  He put a pile of coins in his hand and then put them all around on the cupcake.  We hat at least 60 coins left.  I turned the shirt over and said we could use the back.  He wanted to put them in no particular order all over his shirt.  I did talk him into a design which he was fine with.....100 in a diagonal across the back.

Here is the finished shirt.  The kids at school loved it.  They kept asking him if he was really rich because of all of the money on his shirt.  Daddy and I had a bet that half of the coins would be off of his shirt when he got home.  Only two came off.  I was impressed!  I was also surprised that it was not dirty because there is no way to wash it.





No comments: