Friday, August 30, 2013

It's Friday!!!! Lunch with The Dude

Like last year, I am going to try to have lunch with Collin at least once a month, if not more.  I made it a point to have lunch with him today so I could possibly get more information either from him or the other kids about the first week of school.  So far this week, we have not heard much from him about his teacher, what they are learning or any new friends he has met.  He does keep singing a "Hello, How are you?" song that they must sing in the morning when class starts.  Otherwise, we are getting nada from him.

When I showed up, he class was already lined up and getting ready to walk into the cafeteria.  Collin saw me, smiled really big (good sign!) and waved.  I checked in at the front desk and then walked into the cafeteria waiting to see which long table his teacher chose for his class.

Collin sat on the end of the table so I could have room on the outside of him.  Clayton, one of his friends from the neighborhood, sat across from us.  New friends, Davis, Beckett and Jacob, sat on our section of the table.  Collin's first comment to me was, "Why did you wait so long to have lunch with me?"  Excuse me....I am here now, aren't I?  I let him know that I was planning to have lunch with him on Fridays.  He seemed to like that.  Clayton wanted to know where his mother was.  I felt bad about that so I showed him that I was sending her a message to let her know about lunch.  He liked that.

During lunch, I learned:
  •  Collin was King for the day already.  Every day, one student is King or Queen for the day.  This means that the other students get to write about the King or Queen in their journal, the lucky student gets to be first in line, and they do not have to follow the rules during lunch....at least this was what the kids were telling me.
  • Collin likes tuna but does not want it in his lunch because the crackers will get soggy.  I told him I could pack it separately but he still said he would rather eat tuna at home.
  • I did not give him enough Nilla Wafers
  • They will have Quiet Literacy Time after lunch.  This is where they all get out their blanket or towel, write in their journal and then rest before the afternoon session starts.  Collin said that he does not fall asleep.  I am fine with that because he has been tired this week which means he has gone to bed at least 30 minutes earlier than usual.
When it was time for me to go, I got a big hug.  He wanted me to walk with him as his class walked out of the cafeteria.  I waved good-bye as I walked down the hall.  He smiled and waved back.  That was worth 30 minutes out of my day.

Clayton and Collin

Now, that's a happy boy!

No comments: