Tuesday, June 11, 2013

South Dakota - Exploring Sculptures - Day 4

The next morning, Daddy needed to sleep in so Collin and I spent over two hours together. We first got up and went to the pancake tent where they served all-you-can-eat pancakes for $2.50. Collin not only ate three plate-sized pancakes but also ate half of the caramel roll I bought for me. Walking over to play golf (Why wouldn't we? It had been a day), he walked with his tummy out showing me how big it was after eating all of the pancakes. We played all eight holes of golf and then had to back track to his favorite ones. By this time, I knew Daddy had to be up and I was ready to get in the rent car to explore the area.


We headed to Mt. Rushmore first. I loved seeing Collin's face looking out the window as I pointed out the President's faces on the side of the rock. He stared out the window with a smile until we went into the parking garage. While walking up to the observation area, he asked who the guys were and we explained that they were past Presidents and what their names where. Daddy rented one of the audio tour hand held devices so we could learn about the mountain and the Who, Why, When this was all made. Collin liked listening to some of the discussion.



We then went to the museum to look at pictures. Collin was actually interested in looking at the pictures for at least 15 minutes. I was impressed. He was then bored until he found the explosion simulation. He stood there taking his turn pushing the bar on the explosive device, watching the picture show the explosion and listening to the boom.
This was Collin's spot in the museum.  Boys love to blow up things.

We had lunch there before heading to our next stop, Crazy Horse, which was about a 15 minute drive from Mt. Rushmore. We spent over an hour walking around the museum, watching a movie about Crazy Horse and the sculpture in progress and the observation area. Collin was excited about watching a movie until he figured out it was not a cartoon. He sat there anyway and listened to it. Towards the end, the narrator mentioned that Crazy Horse was his hero. Collin leaned over to me and said that he was not his hero. I asked who his hero was and he told me George Washington. I am sure that's because he just learned about him at Mt. Rushmore.
Unfinished Crazy Horse sculpture

Collin enjoyed this pond...and especially throwing pennies into it

After Crazy Horse, we drove to Hill City to ride the 2 hour 1880 train that left Hill City, stopped in Keystone and then headed back to Hill City. Collin was so excited to ride the train especially because Daddy had been promising a train ride since last summer (not this particular train). On the way there, he sat by the window looking out and asking questions. He did great on the hour ride there keeping fairly quiet. I was glad I brought snacks because he was hungry eating a fruit bar, pretzels and gummy snacks. On the way back, he had a lot more energy and bounced around the seat area. It was really hard for him to sit still. I asked what was different on the way back and he told me, "I don't have snacks this time". I had to laugh not expecting that response.



Back in Hill City, we ate at a local diner that had a home-cooked buffet. Collin saw a picture of shrimp and wanted that to eat. While eating, we were entertained by Collin signing the country songs playing at the restaurant. He did not know the songs but it was easy for him to pick up on the words because they were repeated over and over. He also played air guitar while singing and occasionally eating. We were not in a hurry and were enjoying this free entertainment.

Back at the RV campground, Collin and Daddy played another round of golf and then on the playground while I had some quiet time….ahhhh!!! After putting on PJs, we all watched a movie, Bee Movie. During the moving, there was a Mt Rushmore snow globe. I pointed it out to Collin and he said, "That's why I wanted to watch this movie". Smarty-pants!

What a great day. I am looking forward to tomorrow. We plan to see Custer State Park and then Wind Cave National Park.

No comments: