Saturday, June 15, 2013

Reflections - What We Learned During the Trip

Before I begin, yes, we did play three rounds of mini-golf before we got back on the road this morning.

Last night, we were talking about what we learned during our trip and here is just a short list of what we have come up with so far:
• Flies in South Dakota are the size of bees. Collin kept thinking the flies were going to bite him and he ran away from them.

• Sunrise in the mountains is WAY too early when you have a 5 year old. He saw the sun and thought, "It's wake up time!" but it was only 5am. We pushed him to sleep until at least 7am but he was ready to go by then.

• The dryness in the air had us coughing at night because our throats were so dry.

• We CAN survive a week long trip in an RV.....and cannot wait to do it again....wait, maybe we can wait 3 to 6 months to do it. I think living in the apartment the last several months helped us adjust to the tight quarters we had.

• Collin does not get tired of doing the same thing over and over and over and over again.....like playing mini-golf, watching movies or playing Slap Jack. Mommy, on the other hand, needs a break. I don't want to play card games for at least the next week!

• Daddy is a driving fool. He can drive for HOURS!!!!

• Nebraska and Kansas are flat as I thought they would be. I'll admit I was ready to get out of Nebraska when I heard of tornado warnings north of us.

• I brought too many books. What was I thinking? I expected to be able to read AND entertain Collin during the drive.....ummmmm....nope!

• It was a lot hotter than we expected. South Dakota was 88 degrees when we left. Yes, some of the mornings were cool but not lower than 60 degrees. I'll take the 88 degrees knowing that it's close to 97 degrees at home.
  • There sure are a lot of John Deere tractors in Nebraska and Kansas.  I was surprised at how new all of them looked too.

Well, our goal today is to reach north Texas. With Daddy driving most of the time, I know we can make it.

No comments: