Tuesday, June 11, 2013

RV Trip - Travel Days - Day 1 and 2

For our summer vacation, we rented a 39 foot RV for a road trip to eventually lead us to the Mt. Rushmore area. Friday afternoon, when Daddy brought the RV home, Collin wanted to know what it was. We told him that we were traveling in this bus and sleeping in it for at least 8 days. He thought it was funny that a bus had a bathroom and bed in it. He wanted to help us pack it up and even wanted to sleep in it that night. We told him that he would have plenty of opportunity to sleep in it over the next several days.



We took two days and 1,350 miles later to get to the KOA Kampground near Mt. Rushmore. On the first day, we ended up in North Kansas. As we passed through each state, Collin was to look for certain things listed in is Kid's Road Trip Atlas. He loved looking for the cows, bales of hay, bridges, horses and other RVs. While Daddy drove, Collin and I played lots of card games like Slap Jack, Memory and Go Fish. We also read books and put a puzzle together when he was not watching a movie. There were two TVs in the RV. Most of the time, he had I watched movies in the back which was the main bedroom. Collin loved lying back there. For being contained for over 9 hours each day, I think he did really well. I know I was ready to get there.

Good ole boys in Nebraska helping us take off the canopy on the left side of the RV that was falling off.  We had to ride with the metal pole inside the RV the rest of the trip.

I had just had my last round of chemo Thursday and was feeling the usual nausea. I was concerned about the nausea being worse while on the road because I do have motion sickness. However, I did not feel any worse that I usually do. I did feel bad each morning and spent that time napping in the back. Collin gave me one or two of his animals for me to sleep with and keep me company. I loved how he took care of me while Daddy was driving.

No comments: