Sunday, March 25, 2012

Art, Baseball and Flowers, Huh?

Today was a gorgeous day to be outside.  Glad I had several things planned that involved the outdoors. 

For years, I have enjoyed going to the local annual art festival where local, small artists display their art for sale.  There is jewelry, purses, sculpture, kitchenware and lots and lots of art.  Collin likes to go because there is a children's section where they get to work on art.  He remembers from year to year this part of the festival and announced when we arrived that he wanted to color.  Speaking of arriving, we had to take a tour bus to get to the festival because there is no public parking next to the park where the festival is located.  As we were walking up to the buses, Collin pointed to the red and yellow bus telling me that he wanted to ride that bus.  He was not scared to walk on the bus and quickly picked a seat next to the window "so I can see the road and the cars go by".  He was so attentive to where the bus was going and waved to the cars as we passed them up. 

When we arrived at the festival, he wanted to head straight for the kid's section because "I want to color Mommy.  Walk faster!"  I was able to distract him looking at a few of the large, outside sculptures like this one headed to the kid's section:

The metal pieces were moving around and around.  The artist told him that the wind was doing it.  Collin then told everyone else that walked by that "the wind is doing it!".  I did manage to stop at a few of the booths because they had pieces of art that both of us liked.  Collin LOVED this picture so much that I could not get him to leave the booth. 


He stood in front of the large one that hard little vintage army men enclosed in small shadow boxes under the larger picture.  "Mommy, can we have this one?"  I asked him why he liked it and he told me he really liked both the flag and the guys.  I said that we needed to leave so he could color and he did not want to go.  There was no way we were buying the bigger picture because it was $2,800.  I needed to distract him and was able to get him to keep on moving.

Before heading around the corner to the kid's section, he had to stop at another outdoor sculpture section that had animals made out of metal.  One of them really intrigued him.  It was one of a dog "peeing" water into a can beneath him.  Collin crouched down and was mesmerized by the water coming out of the dog.  I would have taken a picture but the artist would not let me.  It was too funny.  Several people stopped and smiled at Collin more so than the funny dog.

We did make it to the kid's section.  First, Collin painted a rock.  He painted it black, then put multicolored sparkles on it before gluing three fuzzy balls on top of the rock.  While that was drying, he made an art car that had felt dinosaurs and a plastic spider glued on it. 




He then wanted to go back to the "army men picture" so we did.  Sucker! because I did buy it for him.  If he was that intrigued with it, I thought he might enjoy it hanging in his room or playroom. 

While we were walking around, he was singing most of the time.  The song he sang the most went like this, or at least his version of it:

Two little elephants balancing
Step by step on a piece of string
They had such enormous fun
They called for another elephant to join the fun

Each verse added another elephant.  I had not heard him sing this before.  Must be a new song at school.


After riding back on the bus to our car, we went to see his "baby house" as he calls it to make sure that the renter cleaned out all of his stuff.  Collin wanted to show me where the bug was in the house.  I guess the last time he was in there, there was a bug on the second story stairs leading to the thirds story.  When we finished looking at all of the rooms in the house and then came all the way back downstairs, he said "this house is not very good, right Mommy?"  It WAS a little dirty in places so Collin must have picked up on that. 

It was then time to eat lunch before getting some flowers to plant in pots for the backyard.  He liked picking out his plants that he wanted to water.  "I want ones with lots of flowers on them" so he picked some purple and pink ones out.  Figures...he does still like purple and pink.  We headed home so he could rest before Tball practice that he did not want to go to.

Once we were at practice, he was glad he was there.  Not once did he run over to me except to get a drink of water.  I don't blame him either because it was really hot out.  He did great at bat and fielding the ball.  His throws to 1st base were very accurate.  When it came time for him to run the bases after hitting, he was slower than I expected him to be.  Then I figured out it was because the helmet was so big on him and really slowed him down.  I remember Daddy telling me that was happening when Collin was running the bases during the game yesterday. 

After practice, I thought for sure Collin would want to take a nap.  I know I was tired from all of the running around so he had to be.  Nope...he never took a nap.  We did end up at the Jurek's house for about 30 minutes before we headed back to our house to plant the flowers we bought earlier.  He liked helping me dig out the dirt in the pots to then put in the plants and cover them with dirt.  He got bored with that for a little bit and wanted to use the water to clean Daddy's shoes that were outside and a few of his toys.  He has seen Daddy use the water this way to clean the concrete so he was doing the same.  I was surprised that he did not get very wet doing this.  Once all of the flowers were planted, he helped me figure out where they should be placed in the backyard before we watered them.  He still does not understand that he cannot water the plants "hard" but had not pour water easily on the plants.  Sorry...no pictures.  There was a lot of water a dirt flying around everywhere so I did not want to lose the camera in all of it.

He was hungry when we finished and ate a large sandwich that included two pieces of sliced cheese and the 10 slices of smoked ham that he insisted for me to put in it. He also ate two strawberries and fortunately forgot about the Oreo cookies that he wanted after dinner. He was still going hard at 8:45pm so we did some "work" using the Brain Quest questions and answers he is fond of doing lately.  It's a little flip-card question and answer small booklet that we have been doing 3 - 5 questions a night.


He is finally in his bed snoring...loudly.  I don't think he will be getting up in the middle of the night tonight. 

No comments: