Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Natural Salesman?

The school is putting on a fun run this Friday to raise money for the new school being built.  Each class has a goal to raise a certain amount of money (I can't remember what that is at the moment) before the fun run.  The kids are to raise money for each lap they run, up to 35 laps.  These are short laps and most kids are expected to complete these laps. 

We want to help him get his pledges but also think he needs to earn them.  Each student gets prizes based on the number of pledges and money they raise.  Yesterday, Daddy and Collin practiced saying why he is raising money before they went to 8 houses in the neighborhood.  He started to cry when he first had to practice because he was nervous and did not know what to say. I explained that so was I when I was his age. I had to practice and got better and better each time I did it. I still did not like it but did it for my school or sport's team and for the prizes. He remembered about the prizes and perked up and wanted to practice more.

Here is Collin during one of the "practice sessions":



Out of the 8 houses, he received money from all of the people that were home.  He was really excited to show me the pledges he got.  He said that Daddy was a Superhero because, "I was really scared to do it and did not want to, but each time I got better and better because Dad was there to help me."  He was excited about going back out again today when he got home.  They went out for 20 minutes and he got two more pledges.  He was disappointed in the number of pledges but I explained that he really got the same amount because he was out for a much shorter period of time.

No comments: