Friday, January 10, 2014

Mid-Year Kindergarten Report

Collin came home with his report card today.  We have been working hard on his sight words and reading so I was interested to see how he did on his sight word test.  He got a 20 out of 30.  However, when I showed him the words that he missed, he got them all right except three.  He was having trouble with purple, black and she.  When I told him what the report said, he was not happy.  He said, "I know those words!  I don't know why she said I didn't"  I explained that maybe he was tired when she was testing him or a little distracted. It was OK, because I knew that he knew those words. 

I then read the note the teacher wrote to him so he could hear her overall assessment:

Happy 2014!!! May this new year bring your family health, happiness, and many blessings.

Collin is such a great, little guy.  I enjoy him so much.  He is having a great year.  I am proud of him.  Collin's reading is coming along, nicely.  Please continue tto read with Collin at home, too.  This will help build his confidence.

When I read that she was proud of him, he really liked that. 

On the rest of the report, he was developing as expected in most areas.  The other areas such as Fine Motor Skills and some Social Development, he scored Advanced Development in the following detailed areas:
  • Uses pencil with control
  • Correctly writes name
  • Uses scissors correctly
  • Follows directions - ummm....not at home
  • Cleans up after work/play
  • Follows rules
  • Cares for materials
  • Math concepts - patterns - he does love patterns
As far as understanding and recognizing the Alphabet, he did great in all areas.  He does still have trouble recognizing the lower case "q" and what the following letters sound like: E, G and Y.  Overall, he had a really good report showing he was making progress in school.

No comments: