Thursday, May 23, 2013

My Little Man Takes Care of His Mommy

Collin sure does like to take care of me.  For example, we went to play some baseball in the front yard the other day.  I said, "I need to get my shoes and then we can go outside".  He told me to wait while he ran to the back of the house.  He came back with my pink flip flops.  Well, that was really sweet but 1) pink certainly did not match what I was wearing and 2) there was no way I was running in flip flops in the front yard.  He was so proud of which shoes he picked out for me, that I wore them anyway.

Now that I am wearing scarves on my head, he likes to pick these out for me.  Because I might be going in public and do want to at least match, I give him two choices of scarves that match for him to pick.  He thinks about it, holds one up and then the other, and then makes his selection.

He still loves to be with me in the kitchen.  It takes A LOT longer to cook dinner, but I try to slow down so that he can help as I explain what we are doing.  We made tortellini noodles and cream sauce last night.  I pulled out the frozen noodles and asked, "How do we heat these up?"  He chose the microwave.  I asked if there was another way and he went over to the stove, pulled out the drawer below to select a pot.  Now, that's MUCH better than the microwave.  I carried the pot over for him to put water in it and then I put it on the stove to heat.  "Mommy, you need to put the circle thing in it".  He is so observant.  He wanted me to but the small, round disk in the water so that the boiling water did not overflow....so we had to find that.  Next was heating up the white sauce.  You get the picture.  The process was about 15 minutes longer than usual but he learned a few things and loved helping me out.  Yes, he did want to wash the dishes too but that was not going to happen.  I had to unload the dishwasher first and I was too tired for that.  It was also close to his bed time so I knew that washing dishes would add at least 30 minutes before we headed back to his room.

No comments: