Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 3 = SURPRISE!

Day 3 we should have made it to Phoenix.  I say should have because the RV had other plans for us.  About an hour before we made it to El Paso, the RV started to overheat.  Dad stopped several times to let the engine cool a little and then kept going.  We found a place to take a look.  They said it would be a few hours before they could diagnose the problem so we went to see two movies.  Yep, why not?  We did not have anything else to do and hoped we would be on the road later that night.  We watched Inside Out and Jurassic World.  Collin liked Inside Out better.  I could not believe that none of us fell asleep. 

After the movies, we called to find out the status.  The shop said they would not be able to start on the repairs for a few days.  They made arrangements at another place not too far away.  However, they were already closed and would not be able to get to the RV until the morning.  We spent the night in the parking lot of the shop.  I heard lots of sounds but was so tired that I was able to go back to sleep quickly.

The next morning, we got up early and dropped the RV off at the next place.  They said they needed a few hours to confirm the diagnosis of the problem so we had to find something to do.  I did not want to watch another movie so we looked for put-put golf close by because we knew Collin was looking forward to playing at the campground we should have been at already.  We did find a place that had games, put-put, race cars, etc.  Collin had fun playing the carnival games and getting tickets.  We then played 18 holes of put-put golf.  It took at least 6 holes for Collin to figure out that hitting the ball like a baseball did not work as well as being a little more gentle.  We scored each hole as a point.  In the end, we all tied.  Awww.....the competitive family tied!




After getting some lunch, we found out that the RV repairs were going to take at least 20 hours.  That meant we would be in El Paso for at least two more days.  We thought it would be best to check into a hotel and at least be comfortable while we stay here.  We found a nice place that had a pool and where I could get a massage.  Collin and I saw in the pool for over an hour before we came back to the room to relax.  I had a great massage which really helped with the stress of the last two days.

After dinner at a local Mexican place, we did go see another movie, Max, which was about a service dog and a boy.  I wondered if it would make Collin miss Burke too much but it did not. Collin did like the movie but thought it was too long.

We were pooped when we got back to the hotel.  For an unplanned day, we did make the best of it and had a good time together as a family.  I am working hard to not be too disappointed knowing that we are likely going to have to skip most of the Arizona trip which I was really looking forward to.  Fortunately, I have seen all of the places I we planned to see.  I wanted to show Dad and Collin these places that I really love.  I am sure we will see different places that will be just as memorable but in a different way.

No comments: