Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Day 11 = Wet Durango


It has been unseasonably wet this week in Durango. We caught it just right yesterday between the storms when we took the Jeep out on the trails. Today looked worse with an 80% chance of rain for the day.  I thought we would have to spend most of the day in the RV.  That probably would have been good for me because I was still really sick and could use the rest.  However, I could not think of spending our last full day in Durango in the RV.  We went to an Urgent Care to get me some meds so I could enjoy the day with the family. 

We had lunch at a local restaurant called Cocina Linda which was recommended to us by another family at the RV camp.  The owner, Linda, was there all by herself today making the gluten, organic, local food.  Dad and I ordered a burrito and she made Collin a special quesadilla.  While there, I noticed the clouds getting really dark quickly.  It then started to really pour.  Soon, the walls started to leak cold water behind Collin and in the corner.  Can’t say that I have had that happen to me before.  Good thing we were almost finished eating.

We checked out the weather radar and decided to chance it and drive to the Lime Creek Road trail in the San Juan Mountains just north of Durango Mountain Resort.  It was 20 minutes away so possibly the rain will have lightened up by the time we got there…..which is exactly what happened.  Thank you!  The 15 mile trail was just amazing with the steep cliffs, scenery and challenging road.  Because of the rain, there were lots of puddles which made Dad happy and the Jeep dirty.  Collin thought it was fun to go through the puddles too.  He would tell Dad, “Do it again!” Similar to the trail yesterday, the sides at times were so steep, I could not see down to the bottom.  It took us 2 hours to drive the entire road because I would not let Dad drive too fast and we had to stop several times to take pictures.  Dad wanted to be sure I got several pictures of the Jeep going through the puddles and showing how challenging the road was.





Don't look down!

Collin REALLY wanted to get in the water.  I reminded him several times about how cold it probably was.  He did not care....but never got in either.

This was my view from the Jeep on multiple occasions.  Dad was usually yelling "Yeah!" during this time.



We were not ready to go back to the RV yet and the weather still looked good so we headed to the Durango Mountain Resort to drive Hermosa Creek Trail.  Dad wanted to show us this trail because this is where he and a friend road mountain bikes when they were in their late 20s.  This road was smooth compared to the other trails we had been on so far.  I could tell Dad was excited to see the road because of the stories he was telling us when he rode his mountain bike on the same road so many years ago. I was not surprised to see that Collin had fell asleep 10 minutes into the 10+ mile road.  At the end before turning around, we had to cross a creek.  Yes, Dad loved it and had to do it again.

Headed back to the RV camp, we stopped to have dinner at the Sow’s Ear which is a nice restaurant near the Durango Mountain Resort.  Collin had another cheeseburger (I think this was his 8th one for the trip), Dad had pork, and I had fig risotto raviolis.  During dinner, we could tell that we were all exhausted from the afternoon and were happy to think about being back in the RV.  I was also ready to take more medicine and rest.

No comments: