Saturday, March 8, 2014

Rodeo Animals

Every year, I have taken Collin to the rodeo to look at the animals and other exhibits.  Sometimes, we have watched some of the rodeo depending on the time we have.  Last year, we did not make it because I had my mastectomy surgery and recovered for the entire month of March. So, even though we had a few hours before I needed to go to work (tax extension time), we went to the rodeo animal exhibits.  On the way there, I asked what animals or other things Collin wanted to see. He said, "Sheep, Cows and lambs".  These were not the animals I was expecting him to list off but I thought for sure that these animals would be there. 

Instead of seeing the exhibits first, he wanted to head straight to the cages where the animals that were going to be shown in the rodeo where kept.  As he held his nose, he walked down each of the rows of Brahman bulls.  He wanted to know what the hump on the back was, why they were sleeping and if they were going to eat breakfast.  Because we were there early in the morning, we were able to see the handlers feed their animals.  Collin loved this especially when the baby animals started eating.  He then got distracted when one of the animals pooped.  He started walking down the row and pointed out the poop.  He did this the last time so I was not surprised he was interested in looking at it again. 

He then wanted to go to the petting zoo.  Because it was the morning still, the animals were REALLY hungry.  Several of them bite my skirt and pulled on my jacket because I had some food in my hand.  Collin loved feeding the animals, brushing their hair and even giving them lots of hugs.  He was much more involved with the animals than the last time.  I bet it's because we have Burke so he is more comfortable around animals now.








We then looked at the chicken eggs hatching, the baby chicks and then the "mommy" chickens.  We saw cows, horses and, yes, we had to see the lambs and sheep.  Lucky for us, the sheep and lambs were in the baby section because their were mommies that had just given birth the day or two before for us to see. 

We then went to look at and pet the bunnies which has had to do every year.  The loved how soft the bunnies where.  Figures, because we know by now that Collin LOVES anything really soft.

This is a shocked face because he was so surprised at how soft the bunny was

He then saw the pony rides.  The last time, he was not interested but did it because his friend did.  This time, he said he was not afraid and wanted to ride one.  While in line, he watched the ponies and picked out one named Cowboy.  He told the guy to save that one for him...and he did.  Collin loved riding the pony.  I am glad he only wanted to do it once because the line was really long and growing because it was getting close to noon now.


Lastly, we found a new cowboy hat for him.  He wanted a black, felt one that looked like mine and Daddy's.  I found one, too, that would be fun with my short, dark hair.  I needed one anyway because we are attending a Gala in a few weeks and have to wear Western attire.  Collin also wanted to make a rope into a lasso.  He picked out the three different colors and then twisted them together to make the rope.  The guy showed him how to lasso and Collin did not put the rope down for the rest of the day.  I could see Burke getting a lasso around his neck when we got home....which is exactly what happened several times.

No comments: