Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Off to a Good School Year

Collin is having a good time being a Kindergartener.  He is making new friends and coming home with "smiley" stickers in his folder.  That's really good for him.  I am assuming this means that he is focused enough to not be disturbing others in his class and listening to the teacher....things he had trouble with in Pre-K.  So far, he has not had homework but I heard it will be coming soon. The teacher has asked us to ask the kids questions when they come home about their day...which we do anyway.  Sometimes, he will respond and other times, he is not interested.  I can usually ask him later and I will get a few responses.

Daddy picked Collin up at school this afternoon on his bike.  Collin was really proud to show his friends the "attached together" bike before he rode off on it. I would not be surprised if he asks Daddy to pick him up on the bike again tomorrow afternoon.

He is loving soccer and football so far.  Tonight, Daddy said he was excited to change clothes and go to football practice.  He's favorite is to run and grab the flags off the boy running with the football.  I thought he might be good at this because he loves to run...and run fast!  Daddy said that he is really good at running with the ball but he does not like to do this as much.  His first game is this Saturday morning.  I am not sure about the first soccer game time but the games will be on Sunday...I think.  My short-term memory is not that great these days.  I have read that this "chemo brain" could last up to a year.....yeah.  So far, the family is being really great about it.

Starting this week, he has used an alarm to wake him up instead of us trying to wake him up several different times in the morning.  Yesterday, he woke up before the alarm and this morning, he woke up to turn it off....and got out of bed.  He met me in the kitchen as I was making his lunch.  Instead of giving a breakfast order, he sat on the couch and talked to me.  Glad he did not ask about his lunch because I just finished packing it....and was NOT going to change it at this point.

At night while I read books to him, he is letting me teach him a few sight words.  He is really tired by this point, so I only do it for 5-10 minutes before he is impatient or does not want to do it.  So far, he has learned My, You, And, Of and Go.


No comments: