Thursday, September 12, 2013

"How is it dark with the sun out?"

Last night, same 'ole story with getting Collin to his room.  Fortunately, he did not stink so I decided he did not need a bath (he had one last night).  Because I worked until 7:30pm and had not seen him much that morning, I wanted to spend some snuggle time reading to him.  As he was putting his PJs on, he wanted to know why it was bed time already. 

Mommy:  "Because it's dark outside so it's time for bed"
 
Collin: "How is it dark outside when I saw the sun today?  I know it's out there."  Yep, smarty-pants even at 8:30pm. 
 
Mommy:  Where do I start....I made a fist with both hands and held them up.  "This one is the sun and this one is the Earth (pointing to each fist).  During the day when it's sunny, this side of the Earth is facing the Sun.  Then, the Earth rotates and gets dark because the Sun is on the other side now."  I am watching his face while I am talking.  He actually seems to get it...but I am sure that I went overboard for late at night.
 
Collin: Taking my Earth fist he said, "So right now, we are over here on the dark side because it's dark outside.  When I wake up and go to school we will be on this side."  Ummmmmm.....he got it!!!
 
Mommy:  "Yes, that's right."

He finished putting his PJs on, picked out two books and climbed into bed with his stuffed animals.  Good, I was not going to have to fight him to get to bed......but that came later when it was time for me to leave.  He said, "I cannot get cozy without you here with me" and then started to cry.  I want to stay there every night but I know he needs to learn to fall asleep without me there.  I have a hard time leaving and seeing him upset....plus, I was tired and needed to visit with Daddy before I went to bed.  I walked back in 10 minutes later and he was asleep.  Guess he got cozy without me.

No comments: