Thursday, December 31, 2015

Road Trip - Day 4 - Snow and Sedona

We had a fantastic day today.  We started the day by having breakfast on the patio of our room looking at Camelback Mountain and listening to the sounds of the morning.  Not only was the scenery great, the breakfast was wonderful and very filling.



While I was packing, Collin rode his new go cart around the parking lot while Dad watched.  When then checked out of our nice room and headed to Sedona via Payson.   I wanted to show the boys where I spent a lot of my weekends hiking.  I also thought there might be snow on the Mogollon Rim.  If there was, Collin would have fun playing in it.

On the way, I had forgotten how many saguaro cacti there were.  Dad was amazed as well.  

'

We made it to Payson and then headed to the Mogollon Rim.  I noticed snow on the top o the Rim and was hoping there would be lots of snow on the ground for Collin to play in.  I pointed the snow out to him but he was more interested in coloring the picture he was working on.  At some point, he fell asleep.  When he woke up, we were at the Rim....and there was deep snow everywhere!  He said "Whoa, I was asleep a LONG time.  Look at all of this snow.  Can we play in it?"  Of course we could...and did for over 2 hours. We were not prepared for all of the snow so we did not have a sled for Collin to use.  He found a disc that was broken in half but worked great for him.  Later, a family was not using one of their sleds and let Collin borrow it for at least 30 minutes.  That was when he had the most fun.
A snowman he wanted to make but the snow was too hard


Here he goes!
Still hanging on tight...and smiling
Oh no, he is about to loose control
...and he's down...and slid this way for a few more feet.  He was ready to do it again.
He wanted me to bury him the snow which I thought was crazy

Oh really?  Nice try Dude!




The scenery was AMAZING all around us.  Deep snow was everywhere.




We were getting hungry, so we packed up, got Collin out of his snow drenched clothes and then headed to Sedona.  We stopped in Pine to eat at Sidewinders.  They had great fish and chips and hamburgers.

We did eventually make it to Sedona.  After checking into our room, we relaxed before getting something to eat.  I remembered everything closes a lot earlier than we were used to where we live so I urged the boys to get dressed so we could find something open.  We did find a pizza place open that closed in 30 minutes (9pm).  We ate a decent meal and then went back to our room to crash after a long, fun day.

No comments: