Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Legos!!!

Collin has received Lego kits for his birthday or Christmas for a few years now.  He has been only interested in me building the car, castle, rocket, etc while he watched and then played with the finished product...to then break it and need repairs within a day of me building it.  I kept trying to get him involved by at least finding the parts.  His interest did not last long so I put up most of the Legos to then bring them back later to test his interest....and to not lose the pieces in the meantime.

He asked about his Lego castle this weekend because he wanted to build it.  I questioned if HE really was going to build or was he going to watch me build.  He said he would build but needed my help.  OK, we could try again because it's been at least 2 years since the last time.  Maybe he has more patience and focus.

I hid the Lego castle really well because I could not find it.  I did find several other kits and pulled those down for Collin to make a decision of what to build first.  We started with some goblin hearse car and did not finish it because we got stuck with a possible missing part. Mimi even tried working on it when she was over Sunday.  Then, he selected a set that has three cars that can be build from the same set of legos like this:


We built the truck first because we had already built the car 2 years ago.  We started Sunday night and worked on it after dinner Monday and last night.  The difference this time building was that I found the pieces and Collin followed the instructions to determine where the pieces went.  He did this for all 34 pages of the instruction book.  I was impressed with his focus each time we sat down to build.  When we finished the truck, he wanted me to take a few pictures of it before he played with it. The roof came off while we were taking the pictures so we paused to rebuild.  Then, he played with the truck for less than 5 minutes before I  was asked to do some major repairs.




Even though the finished product did not last long, we enjoyed building the truck together upstairs in the movie room area.  We did not need the TV on so it was really nice to talk to each other about our day or talk about how the pieces fit together.  I am sure we will build something else before the weekend.

No comments: