Sunday, November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving - Destin 2014

We had a great time in Destin, FL this past week spending the week with friends of ours from Dallas.  We did this in 2011 and were looking forward to doing it again.

We left Saturday morning for the 9 hour drive with a VERY loaded car. Because we did this before, we were prepared and knew better what to bring this time.  Plus, we needed to include snacks and lot of entertainment for Collin during the drive.  He actually did really well on the way there not asking too many times (until the last hour) "how much longer?"  We stopped a few times to get gas, to eat and to stretch our legs.  Because Collin was interested in knowing what state we were in, we did also  stop to take pictures in front of the state line sign. 

Collin is set for the ride with cards, colored pencils and paper, games and iPad to watch movies

Trying to get a good picture of us on the way.  Fine......

......this is what I think of him messing the picture up

Collin was excited to be in another state

He liked MS because of all of the S's in the state name
We did finally arrive at 9pm Saturday night.  Collin immediately wanted to know when we could go to the beach.

The next day, it rained on and off most of the day.  Collin did not care and wanted to go to the beach with Justin.  I went when them for a little while but thought they were crazy because it was COLD (55 degrees) and I could not believe they wanted to get in the water.  For the 45 minutes we were outside Sunday, they had a great time. 





The next day, we spent the entire day on the beach.  Collin and Justin barely came out of the water - only to get a snack or use the bathroom.  The rest of the time, they were surfing and playing on the waves.  Collin did great learning to ride the waves.  I loved watching him and especially seeing the huge smile on his face.  The other days on the beach were about the same except the boys did spend more time playing in the sand.  We also played a lot of beach volleyball and soccer.  I sure did get a leg work out every day doing that with the kids. 
Doesn't he look like he is up to no good?  He just finished burying my feet under the beautiful white sand.

One of the few times he was still enough for a picture in the water

Focused on the next wave


"Get out of my chair!"

He loved being buried in the sand

Showing me what I looked like...copying me reading a book

I wonder what he is thinking.  He did ask what was on the other side of the water.  Maybe he was trying to look for it.

On the rainy day during the week, we went to lunch.  Then, the boys went to see two movies while the girls went...shopping!  I really did try to find some things to buy but did not end up with much but enjoyed the time out with the girls.

We did have our Thanksgiving meal at the condo.  I cooked the turkey using Grandma H's recipe and turkey roasting pan I brought with us.  I am sure she was happy to see that she was part of our Thanksgiving celebration even though she was not there.  Can't beat the view during the breaks from cooking.




I did get to relax and read three books (from Grandma H's collection) during the trip.  I also ran along the beach either in the morning or evening several times.  I ran slower than I wanted to because of a recent groin injury.  I was not disappointed though because I could not beat the view. 

One evening right before sunset, Collin and I ran out to catch the sunset.  It was BEAUTIFUL most of the nights so I wanted to get a few pictures to remember it.



On the morning we were packed and ready to go, we ran to the beach to get a few family pictures.


Here is the entire crew!

No comments: