Sunday, May 11, 2014

What's Mother's Day without a Race?

I wanted to race one more time before being out of commission for a couple of months due to my last surgery next week.  I had heard the TriGirl triathlon was fun.  They have an option of a triathlon or duathlon.  I am all about the duathlons.  I knew I would enjoy that especially because my TriBesties, Georgia and Bonnie, would be racing too.

I was surprised when Daddy said that he and Collin would be going with me.  There were at least 8 ladies from the bike shop Tri Club that planned to race so he thought it would be good to have a team tent and to be there to watch me race.  Now...I was really excited about this race because both of my boys would be there to cheer me on.

It was a really humid morning because of the rain yesterday and expected light showers today.  Oh no....I don't care to race in humidity.  I am slower and these days, I run more hot anyway because of the fun hot flashes I have been having.  No biggie because I was not pushing to place this morning but that would have been even better if I did.

The duathlon was a .5 mi run, 8 mile bike and then 2 mile run.  For the .5 mi run, I was out in front the entire time and was 6th back to the transition area.  Yeah, it was time to get on the bike which is where I am strongest.  I knew that I was up front because of where I came in from the run.  I passed, one, two, three and then four ladies on the bike.  Here I come!  I had never in out in front like that before.  I was so used to looking ahead to see the cyclist up front and to see where the next turn was.  Now, that cyclist was ME!  A few times, I did have to yell out, "which way do I turn?" but it did not slow me down much.  As I was coming back to the transition area, there were my boys.  I could see on their faces that they were really surprised to see me so fast.  They were both yelling for me.  Daddy was saying, "You are second on the bike!"  Collin smiling face was awesome to see. 

Next was the run.  I have been only running once a week so I expected the run to be challenging...and it was.  It was warmer out and the humidity was making the air so thick.  I was getting passed a few times but by ladies not in my age group.  Maybe I still had a chance to get an award so I did push a little harder.  I was SO happy to see the turnaround point.  Here I come boys!!!  I need to see you both.  I finally saw the finish line and kicked it as hard as I could.  Collin came over to give me a hug......and then wanted to wear the Finisher's medal that I had not even had a chance to put around my neck. 

Instead of looking at the race results as soon as they were posted, I chose to wait until the awards were given out. Several people came up to me and told me "congratulations" so I knew I won at least 1st through 3rd.  Based on coming in 2nd on the bike, I assumed 1st in my age group.....and I was right! 

I love this guy

OK, what was this for?  Good thing I had not raced yet.  That would not have tasted good.

Glad to be finished!

Georgia and I

The Three Amigos

Tri's make you a little crazy


1st Place

In the afternoon, Mimi, Pappy, Nancy and Grandma H came over for a visit and go out to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant. 

No comments: