Friday, November 22, 2013

Reading

Collin was off to a slow start with his reading at the beginning of the school year.  He was just not interested in learning words, reading to me at night or even reading from the books online.  Something changed, and he started being interested.  I figured it out that he was aware that the other kids were reading books online and getting points so he wanted the points too.  Competitive little guy.  I know he gets that from me.

So, almost every night now, we work on Sight Words, read and do some "homework".  Each week, we pick out 5 new Sight Words to learn.  At first, it would take him almost two weeks to learn the words.  Now, in the past 3 weeks, he is learning at least 5 words a week.  We do have to go back a review some words but, for the most part, he does remember the words.  As of today, he knows the following:

The, and, a, to, in, is, you, it, he, for, on, are, I, but, all, are, can, do, like, see, me, my

He is doing OK with his reading but at least he is still interested in trying.  He does get frustrated but I don't let him stop.  We do keep pushing through for about 15 minutes and then it's time to play.  I think it's god that we are starting this routine now for when he does actually have homework every night.

No comments: