Monday, September 17, 2012

Weekend Warrior

This is the time of year that I work A LOT!  The major deadline of the entire year is today, September 17th.  Therefore, most times, I am in the office working both Saturday and Sunday to try finish all of the outstanding tax returns that have not been finalized and sent to the client. 

This was the first time that Collin was with me at the office for a few hours Saturday before Daddy picked him up and then the entire time I was in the office Sunday.  Now, don't feel bad for the little dude. He was set up with coloring books, puzzles, action figures (mainly his dinosaurs) and toy airplanes.  On Saturday, he also had Daddy's iPad which was loaded with movies.  Here is what he mainly looked like Saturday for the 4 - 5 hours he was with me at the office:


Here he is after snacking on oranges and apples.  Must have been too much natural sugar for the little guy:


He had a great time following me around when I had to ask my colleagues questions.  Can you imagine the attention he got especially because he was carrying around a large dinosaur?  He was the center of attention and loved it.  He also really liked "visiting" the snack table we had prepared because we knew it was going to be a long weekend.  Collin actually helped me pick out some of the snacks and contributed Oreos to the pile.  I knew he would later want some of these.  I also had apples, oranges and other healthy snacks too.  By the end of the weekend, I think he had at least one of each snack item.  His favorite were the Oreos, tangerines and apples.  There was a lot of chocolate on the table but he was not interested in it.  I was not too surprised because he does not seem to like candy like other kids.

By the Sunday, he was more comfortable with the other people around and was not shy.  This lead to some really funny comments or actions from him like:

Collin:  "Mommy, was does everyone keep coming in here to ask you questions?"
Laura: "Well, I am their boss so they are making sure I agree with them."
Collin:  "So are you the Queen?"
Laura:  After I stopped laughing, "Not exactly." 
Collin:  Obviously not hearing my response, "Who's the King?  Kings are boys."
Laura:  Having fun with it, "Ask the guy next door.  He's the King."  Well, he is one of the partner's of the firm.

Collin did ask and he said he was defiantly not.  Collin was then bored with that topic and moved on.  There was a little bit of a break in the amount of questions and then they started again.  After either the third or fourth person came in and then left, Collin said, "Phew!  I did not think they would stop talking!"  I do feel that way sometimes too buddy. 

When he was feeling REALLY comfortable, the fart noises appeared.  He would stand at my doorway and make a fart sound with his mouth, laugh and run into my office.  He quickly quit doing this because he was not getting attention.  However, when he walked down the hallway, he would make the fart noise.  Oh well, now my colleagues think I have gas. 

There was about a 2 hour window Sunday where I was waiting on tax returns ready for my review and had answered all of the questions that had come up.  I knew I needed to get Collin out of the office for a little bit because I did need to come back.  So I thought it would be fun for him to go to the Children's Museum.  I knew he would have fun there and possibly be tired enough to lay down when we got back to the office.  He DID have a great time and announced when we were heading back to the car, "That was my favorite place Mommy."  We do have plans to go back with Timmy and Leah within the month so it was good to get such positive feedback from him.  He remembered being there before.  When we walked in, he asked, "Is this the place were Timmy and I worked on bikes at the bike shop?" and it was.  That was months, and possibly, a year ago.  Great memory kid!  When it was 20 minutes before closing, I showed him outside where all of the water "play" was.  He had a great time making waves with the machine, guiding boats in the water and seeing what would happen if a block was in the water changing the stream and also with the water windmill.  I knew he was going to get wet but also knew he would really enjoy this part of the museum...and he did. 
He is moving the parts to direct the water to the bottom to turn the mill.
We did have to go back to the office for probably two more hours so I bought him dinner on the way so he could eat it in my office.  When he walked into my office, he said, "Awww, I missed you my sweety" referring to his blanket and stuff he had left on the floor.  We did not end up leaving until after 8:30pm.  The entire time we were there, he did not ask once when we were going home.  On the way home, I asked if he had fun today, and he said he really did.  Based on the amount of time I was at the office and could have been away from him if he were not with me, I had a great time too.  I enjoyed him with me...even though it did cause at least 2 - 3 more hours total because of the potty breaks and me attending to his needs.  He can come to the office any time!

No comments: