Thursday, December 21, 2017

Project Gingerbread House

Since Collin was born, he and I have built and decorated a gingerbread house together every Christmas. There was one year we build train instead of a house because the train came as part of a kit.  I call it a gingerbread house, but we use graham crackers because these are sturdy and can be easily broken to crate the shape needed. 

If an effort to do “Christmas Lite” this year because of everything going on and to focus on the meaning for the holiday season, I cut out most of what we normally try to cram in our schedule. I did ask Collin what he still wanted to include. He said he still wanted to look at Christmas lights and also to make a gingerbread house.  Because most of our evenings are free as a result of us not trying to do too many things, I thought it would be fun for he and I to design the house and make it ourselves instead of using a kit or crackers. We still have plenty of leftover candy for decorations from prior year gingerbread house making parties. 

I found an easy recipe for gingerbread. Collin helped especially when it was time to roll out the dough. He asked to have some dough leftover so he could play with it. That’s fun!  During the design, he mentioned that he wanted a really tall and large house with a garage and fence. He helped make sure I was cutttjng out the dough for the sides needed. I was challenged to make sure I cut out all of the parts we needed for this custom house. I would hate to forget an integral piece. 

Here is the house and fence after it was baked. Not bad!


We had to let the gingerbread cool so we didn’t have enough time that night to make the house. Several more nights went by before we were able to sit down and start decorating the house due to interest and basketball practice. When we actually had time to decorate the house, Collin was not interested. I sat down anyway and started “gluing” the pieces together with royal icing. He then came by and help me out especially with decorating the house. He said the house needed a sidewalk and a driveway which he designed first before decorating it with candy. We had to have a laugh with how hard some of the candy had gotten from the last year and reminded each other tonight it for sure! The icing was really good though. Yum!
I thought the house turned out really nice. What do you think?






No comments: