Monday, October 5, 2015

Collin Wants to be a Wolf!

Well....he wants to be a Wolf in Cub Scouts.  Since we attended his first meeting, he has wanted to know when we can go back.  He regularly asks when the next meeting will be.  Because these are only once a month, I guess it's going to be a long month unless the Halloween decorations distract him enough.  :)

Friday, Dad and I bought Collin's Scout shirt, patches, belt and handbook.  I planned for Collin and I to sew some of the patches on over the weekend.  I knew there was a strong possibility that he would want to have all of the patches sewn on by Friday night.  Because there were only seven patches, I thought we could have them finished by at least the weekend.

When he got home from school, he immediately saw the shirt and patches I laid out.  "Can we sew these on now?"  I asked him to help me because he needed to learn how to sew.  "You know how to sew?"  I let him know that I learned from both of my grandmothers and I was going to teach him.  I told him Dad knows how to sew, too, because of Boy Scouts.  He was eager to get started.  I showed him how to select the right color of thread, use two to three pieces of the thread, cut the length needed and tie a knot at the bottom of one side of the thread.  It was his turn to thread the needle which did take him a few attempts to get one piece of thread through.  I had to redo it to get all of the thread through the needle.  I then showed him how to place the patch on the shirt and anchor it with a safety pin so the patch would not move around while we were sowing it.  He did not understand why this was necessary but agreed this was necessary only because he wanted to get started.  I made a few stitches showing him how to do it and then handed the shirt over to him.  He made three stitches with some help and then was done.  "You can do it much faster than me".  He was tired from being at school all week and his friends had just knocked on the door to play.



When he came back inside from playing, he asked if I had shown all of the patches on. I explained my fingers were tired and needed a break.  The next day, he asked again.  That afternoon, him and friends watched a movie.  Afterwards, yep, he asked the status of the patches.  "While we were watching the movie would have been a good time for you to sew the rest on".  Ha!!!  What a motivator though.  I did finish the patches in time for him to show Mimi that night.  He wore his shirt the rest of the afternoon and played in it while Mimi was watching him for us.

I am not sure if he is more excited about the shirt with the patches or being a Cub Scout.....maybe a little of both.

No comments: