Monday, June 29, 2015

Camp = Finally Come to an End

The last few days of camp did fly by for us because we were preparing for a 16-day RV trip we would start when we picked Collin up from camp.  In addition, the work week was challenging causing me to spend at least 15 additional hours at work.  So, between packing and working, I was so busy that not having Collin there helped me not feel so guilty for not being available for him.  I still missed him a lot though.

Dad and I were happy to see more pictures of Collin from the Thursday activities.  He was smiling and looked like he continued to feel better from the weekend before.
 
He looks so old in this picture!

Playing dodgeball with the other cabin mates

Waiting with a friend to get medicine.  Collin was taking his nightly pills and this boy had to have cream rub all over him.  I am assuming he had eczema.

Thinkster, the counselor, and his crew for the week.  They look like they are ally getting along.

Collin, Thinkster and Foard

Love, love, love this little boy.  This really showed us that he was having fun and not to worry so much about him.  However, we got this picture Friday morning so it only helped a little for us to see him smiling so much at this point. 

Friday, I received this letter from Collin.  He must not have remembered he had some money on account at the camp store.  I felt TERRIBLE that he was watching the other kids buy candy and other things at the store when I read this letter...that was until I logged onto the camp website and found out that he had $0.73 left in his account.  He must have figured it out after he sent the letter.  I did feel a little better but was going to make sure that I showed up with some Airhead Extreme candy for him Saturday.


Saturday morning, we loaded the RV and headed to camp.  Instead of picking the kids up and leaving, there was a presentation from the camp director and then we met with Collin's counselor to hear about his observations of Collin from the week.  He said:

Collin is a peacemaker, resolving conflict between his friends.  His kindness reveals his desire to offer his best for others.  Collin is clever, having a sharp mind and ideas beyond the average.

Collin then finally acknowledged we were there and asked about Burke first before giving me a hug.  We took a few pictures including one with his counselor because Collin wanted it.  When asked if he wanted to sign up again, he said he did not want to.  I said, "I thought you had a good time" and he said he was worried he would not get the same counselor.  "Let's skip a year and come back when I am nine".  Not sure what this was about but knew we had time to talk about camp and see if he did have a good time and was just really tired from the week.
We loved seeing him in a hat because he never wears one



We loaded up in the RV and headed to our first stop, Carlsbad, New Mexico, which took us almost 10 hours to get there.  At the first gas stop, we found some Airhead Extremes.  This made for one happy boy.  He finally got the candy he had been waiting for all week. 

Our first stop 4 hours later

Happy boy with a few Airhead Extremes.  The challenge will be for him to not eat all of these in the next few days.
Getting ready for bed that night.  He loves his bed up front and showed me how they had to make their beds every day at camp.

No comments: