Sunday, May 1, 2016

First Duathlon

Collin was nervous about doing his first duathlon.  A duathlon is a run, then bike and then run.  This duathlon was for kids 9 - 12 to the run was 3/4 mile run, 2 mile bike and 3/4 mile run.  He has seen me do these and was excited to do his first one.  We knew he would do great because he is a good runner and cyclist.  I was not sure how he would do though running and riding with so many other kids.

The race had a 10K, 5K, 1K and the duathlon.  I signed up for or the 10K which was supposed to start 1 1/2 hours before the duathlon.  I should have been finished in plenty of time to watch Collin race.  However, it started to pour for 30 minutes before I was supposed to start so they delayed the race 5, then 10 and then 20 minutes.  I was getting worried I would not finish  in time to watch Colin start.  Finally, the 10K did start and I had 1 hour and 10 minutes to get back.  I am not fast these days and thought it would take me at least an hour and maybe another 5 minutes.  It was so humid because of all of the race and the recent rain so it was challenging to run as fast as i usually do.  However, I had a goal to get back and see my boy.  I was so excited to see him and Dad waiting on the frst loop.  That gave me a little kick to run a little faster around the second loop.  I  finished in less than an hour and plenty of time to watch Collin.

Dad was at the start and I was waiting were Collin's bike was set up to help him in case he had questions.  The race started and it did not take the kids long to run to their bikes.  Collin found his bike quickly, put on his helmet, grabbed his bike and he was off for the bike portion of the race.  He looked so confident.

Listening to instructions at the Start
Glad he wore his Captain America shirt because he was so easy to spot in the group



His bike is ready and waiting for him

Getting his helmet first
Pulling the bike out

He was back from the bike portion of the race so fast.  I hardly had time to look through the pictures before he was back putting his bike up and then running back to the finish.  When he started the bike, he was in the middle of the group.  When he finished, he was about 8 kids from the front.  He was doing fantastic and looked like he had enough energy to get back to the Finish.

Looks like he passed a few kids heading back around the corner.
After the race, he was not ready to put his bike away.  He wanted to either ride it or push it around whit him everywhere we walked.

Just after the race and showing no signs of fatigue
"Mom, take my picture"
Sitting with his bike waiting for the awards to start

While waiting for the awards, I walked over to him and said that he was really fast but he might not have been in the top 5 to get an award.  No matter if he got an award or not, Dad and I were really proud of him. He said, "It's ok if I do not win.  I had a lot of fun.  You hardly every get an award and you still have fun".  Not sure if I was proud of him or wanted to laugh because he just called me out for being slow and not winning too many awards.

Finally, it was time for the kid's Duathlon awards.  He did end up getting 5th place and was really excited...other than having to stand on the stage to get his award.  He was the youngest of the group which made him even happier.

Receiving his award on the podium
Group picture 
Just one more by himself

Heading back to the car, he asked when we would be signing him up for another race.  He actually is racing next month in his first triathlon.  The duathlon was a good first race so he could see what it was like.

No comments: